Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

It happens every year

Options
eluv8
eluv8 Member Posts: 174
Don't forget, to make sure the boiler and the mechanical equipment are protected from drywall dust and construction debris. Nothing can ruin a good boiler or heating system faster.(Well almost)

Comments

• radmix
    radmix Member Posts: 194
    Options
    It happens every year

Its the third year in a row that the home owner or the GC demands that I put the heat on to a house before its insulated and in one case on windows installed. The carpenters must stay warm you know. First thing I get is why is it not conning up to 70 are you sure that you sized it right. The next is we just went through a 1000 gallons of fuel in 3 weeks, I thought this system was efficient. It never fails
  • S Ebels_2
    S Ebels_2 Member Posts: 74
    Options
    Yah

We are working on a large dairy barn project right now and the owner hinted that he would like to have the boiler and infloor hooked up to "keep it warmer in here and save some money on gas". They are burning through a 1,000 gallon pig of propane in as little as 6 days with the weather we;ve been having. The west wall of the barn (120' exposure) is covered by nothing but blue plastic tarps. 3 LP fired construction heaters totalling over 800,000 btu struggle to keep it 45* in there when the wind blows and I'm thinkin', OK.................how do I break this to him gently?
  • singh
    singh Member Posts: 866
    Options
    yeah

and since it's still in construction phase and cold, there is no water plumbed up yet, so I'm mixing antifreeze in a 30 gal garbage pail with water brought in and pumping it in.

Just did one Friday. I'll go back Monday just to see how much fuel was wasted.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Leo_22
    Leo_22 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    You're Mean

Mixing antifreeze with the water, what are the plaster guys going to use to mix the plaster? :)

Leo
  • ScottRW
    ScottRW Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Happy HO

NOT!! Same story, I went ahead and fired up the system, and explained that it was a waste of time/energy/money etc. to start it up without ANY insulation in the ceilings. Left the stats real low told the GC he needed additional heat as my floor system just couldn't do the job...... Drywallers have finally shown up, and the lids are blown, almost. There's a small problem in the indoor pool area, no drywall, and of course no insulation...... turned those stats off......
  • an old wrench puller
    Options
    suggeestion

When you bid a job like this, put in the contract that you will NOT be responsable for temperary heat and that your system will not be turned on until the the building is in the clean up stage.

If you have to supply the temp heat, put money in your bid to cover some portable heaters and the fuel run them. Keep a close eye on the temperature setting. If the GC aint footing the bill, he'll have it up to 78.
  • Bryan_16
    Bryan_16 Member Posts: 262
    Options
    which is

exactly why I will supply a heat source, but never a fuel supply! Everybody wants it 78 when they are not buying the fuel. Let the HO/General figure out who is paying.
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    Options
    heat in a dairy barn?

steve,

i was at my favorite dairy barn the other day, about 10F outside and the exhaust fans going to keep the barn cool.
This discussion has been closed.