Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ECM PUMPS

Options
that the temperature rise through the boiler would be greater than most manufacturer's allow and that the minimum flow rate would not be meet when most of the TRv's are closed. Some of the residential cast iron boilers only hold a few quarts of water, so they need to be treated more like a copper tube boiler than a typical cast iron boiler.

Boilerpro

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=393&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• In the latest issue

of P&M Siggy has a drawing of a flow through cast iron boiler with an ECM pump and TRV,s on all rads, the boiler is outdoor reset and I assume the boiler starts on a certain outdoor temp, so my question is. When all the TRV,s are closed what happens to the ECM? Does it stop running or slow down enough it doesnt need a bypass valve?
  • Mark Hunt_6
    Mark Hunt_6 Member Posts: 147
    Options
    They slow down

Wattage consumption drops so low that the circ can not over heat. No by-pass needed.

Mark H
  • Thank you

Mark
  • Wayne_29
    Wayne_29 Member Posts: 50
    Options
    The Stratos ECO

Really is something special!
    We have had nothing but positive comments on Wilo
  • Jed_2
    Jed_2 Member Posts: 781
    Options
    Mark

I heard today that there can be issues with the Stratos over-pressurizing the return main. Didn't fully understand
    the specific system where this occured (South Coastal Maine). Any thoughts on this?

Jed
  • ECM Questions

Here’s the deal on ECM pumps (Stratos and ECO)

Regarding temperature rise across the boiler, actually this is not an issue (by the way, that’s a great question), as when the load decreases (TRV’s close) the Stratos slows down. That means the flow through the boiler decreases and it’s true the delta increases but (yes, there always is a but), the outlet temperature of the boiler increases and the boiler aquastat picks this up (understands the load has gone down) and the boiler modulates down, changes to low fire, shuts off etc (depending on the type of gas valve). It is truly an amazing thing to witness…

As the boiler output decreases the delta T goes down, hence never too much delta T. In fact we are now closer to an efficient delta T than ever before!

Regarding Stratos overpressurising the main, that’s pretty difficult to do - depends on how the Stratos is set. Options include delta PV (differential pressure across the pump increases as the flow increases – tracks a system friction loss curve), Delta PC (constant pressure for low head – AKA old gravity systems) or non-regulated, constant speed (allows manual speed changes on 10 RPM increments between min and max speed.

Hope this helps…
  • They need,,,

a lower minimum temp rating so they can be used for chilled water. Associated circuitry to control chilled water by delta T would be nice for certain applications too.
  • They need...

Minimum temp of the Stratos is 14 deg F. The ECO is currently 60 deg F (sorry about that). Has to do with the location of the electronics.

We have what's called an Interface Module where you can control the Stratos with 0-10 Vdc (adjust the head or speed).

These modules also offer external off (for priority DHW and WW shut down), dual pump capability and run monitoring.

Are you going to the AHR (ASHRAE) show in Chicago? Stop by the booth and I will be happy to show you our stuff.
  • No,,,

No Chicago I'm afraid but there's a Wilo counter day the 28th at Plimpton in Manchester, CT. I'll be there...
  • Mark Hunt

get in touch with me when you can.
This discussion has been closed.