Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiator banging

I have 1 radiator that is always banging. This is a 1 pipe system. I replaced with new vent. The steel line is properly pitched. The raditor is level. I shut off the radiator stop off and banging stops. Any ideas

Comments

• ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    banging radiator

the radiator needs a slight pitch to allow condensate to get back to the boiler more then likely before pitching radaitor the union will have to be disconnected and water removed

• The radiator was removed and drained and i have proper pitch on the rad and steam line any other ideas.

• Bob- The radiator has to be pitched (sloped) towards the supply line. I just mention this again as in your first message you used the word "level" so just want to make sure that there was no confusion on this. Use a bubble level to check this. I had a radiator that was visibly sloped properly but in fact was level (and sloping a bit the other way) due to the house settling.

Sounds as though you may have some restriction in the pipe or inlet valve, either due to maybe mud or the valve not fully opening. You mentioned that the radiator was drained and checked, was the valve checked that it fully opens? You might also check that the radiator isn't sagging in the middle and creating a pool of condensate. Maybe increasing the pitch a little more might be something to try.

- Rod
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357

Bob are you sure it is a steam radiator valve on the unit? Some lower end hot water radiator valves can cause water to pool in the radiator. Also as ROd said make sure the valve is actually functioning properly
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.