Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam system water usage

in my peerless 211 a, there are only about 3 gallons between the primary m/m lwco level, and the normal waterline. if i had a meter on its make up supply, i would compare that volume of water added, to this 3 gallons. i would hope not to use more than a quarter of this amount [3/4 gal] in any one month.

this situation is complicated by the overfilling that sometimes occurs, in spite of time-delay, with auto-fills. i wonder if some night setback situations can result in a slug of cold condensate water coming back too quickly, and cracking the boiler. or could the probe lwco be a little low, and allow more thermal shock? -- nbc

Comments

• Dan Sheridan
    Dan Sheridan Member Posts: 1
    Steam system water usage

In our company we have been having a rash of cracked boilers. Ones that have been coming with probe type low water cut offs (that's another story all by itself). These boilers ( same brand ) within a few years have been cracking mainly in the crown sheet. We install auto feeders that have the display showing the amount of water that has been added to the boiler. Mainly to detect problems with air vent leaks, underground return leaks etc. We hear differing numbers of what is considered a "normal" amount of water that a system would require through a heating season. This would basically be for a residential 3 -4 section boiler.
    Any thoughts or reference material to review would be greatly appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.