Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

the professionals

many "pros" have more than one tech(themselves), and depending on the workload, it can be impossible for <i>that one person</i> to get everywhere within a reasonable amount of time, so they send a tech who is trained & knowledgeable.<BR>However like everything else, some are better than others.<BR><BR>Dave

Comments

• \"the professionals\"

Many times it has been recommended to homeowners to contact a pro that is recommended on this board.
    my question is, what percentage of the time do these pros come do the actual install?
    or do they come look at it, diagnose it and send somone else to fix the problem.
    if that is the case, then why are the pros recommended in the first place...

Thanks
  • Mitch_6
    Mitch_6 Member Posts: 549
    In my case we are a two man shop

My partner does plumbing service I do heat and larger renovation work. I look at the heating calls and decide from there who is best for the projects.

In some cases when I am busy we may refer to a company we trust but usually refer back to find a pro.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jian
    Jian Member Posts: 12
    I have a problem with that too

I remember last year, I called this plumbing company base on the owner's reputation in another forum. Obviously, it's not the owner that would be coming for this simple task. It was a service to install a main vent and an annual service. I told him about the water hammer issue and asked if the uninsulated pipe in the garage should be insulated. He said no and found nothing wrong with the radiator slope. While he was servicing the boiler, I would have think with my knowledge now that he should have noticed that near piping are done all wrong. I haven't fix it yet but if homeowners and pros online can see it right away, I would expect a "pro" physically there to recognize the problem(s).
  • Hvacman
    Hvacman Member Posts: 159
    Hire a Pro

As a homeowner and tradesman I'd recommend *asking* when you call who will be doing the work... And don't assume on the basis of one recommendation that you will rave about the "pro" you hire. It takes real work to be a homeowner and get the most for your dollar! It's worth noting that I don't own the business where I work and my employer does not advertise here... I would say that most posters here are ahead of the curve when it comes to ability and professionalism so you should be satisfied hiring a pro who advertises here... spending the time online to better oneself and learn is more than 99% of tradesmen (and tradeswomen) do.
  • Mark Custis
    Mark Custis Member Posts: 537
    We are

my wife, who thinks solar panels will be a fasion statement soon, and me, I move BTUs or calories. You do the math.
  • bob_120
    bob_120 Member Posts: 1

jian, who did you end up hiring to fix your issue? and who did you hire that was clueless?

Thaks
  • haven't hire anyone yet

Since it's pretty freezing this winter, I will just suck it up and wait until spring/summer. I don't want to name the company since 1)I think that person read this forum 2) that person does know what he is talking about 3) one of his tech is not enough to judge the company as a whole
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 457

Then why are you belittling a pro for a tech who works under him. All techs start has newbies in the business and we work hard, very hard to become a "PRO". This does not happen overnight, it can take years. Did you contact the "PRO" and offer him/her your issues with tech? Maybe tech is unfamiliar with your specific problem, it happens to all of us. Another good reason this site is here, for all to learn and grow and become better techs, homeowners, and Pros'.

Just my .02
  • Jian
    Jian Member Posts: 12
    Sorry if I offended anyone

I was ranting because two technicians came. One of them is the apprentice and the other one is suppose to be the pro. I didn't get pro like answers from the pro.

• agreed. more often than not, the pro just comes gives the quote and the hard work is done by the techs/apprentice.
    prs are not there to see the job, so what is the purpose for the advertisement on this forum?
    yes they are recommended by many as a pro, but do they do the work, NO.

my .02 cents.
  • Darrell_7
    Darrell_7 Member Posts: 35
    Well, gee whiz!

Well, gee whiz! That would be just like every other trade in the world! Go to a fancy restaurant...did the advertised "professional" chef make your steak...or was it an "apprentice" under his supervision? Go to any doctor...did you actually see him, the "professional"...or was 99% of the work done by an "apprentice" under his supervision? Go to any car mechanic...did the MEO...the Most Experienced One, the "professional"...in the shop work on your car...or was it an "apprentice" under his supervision? Why would this trade be any different? We all have to start somewhere...even you, I dare say. The "Professional" you speak of has the responsibility for his shop and his techs...but not necessarily the responsibility to perform every job...to cook every steak.

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357

WHen you call us Mr. Garrity does the job. SO far it is CHarlie or Charles who shows up or in the future it will be Charles or Charlie or Paul who shows up but even when we do have folks working for us we hold them to the same standards we hold ourselves, maybe why we stay small, but if you call a pro from this board I am sure they will give you a job held to the same standards as of the top dog came off the porch and handled it themself. If not tell them and they will.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Darrell_7
    Darrell_7 Member Posts: 35

There may be a million reasons why the tech that came to your house didn't note or address the issues that you believe you have, or at least didn't address them the way you expected him to. Understand that I am speaking generically and not about you specifically.

1. He wasn't there to do a complete system analysis. He did what he came to do and moved on. Not every itch needs to be scratched. Not every issue needs to be discussed or noted. He runs the risk of coming across as a know it all that thinks his way is the only way and that everybody else is just a hack.

2. He wasn't experienced enough to catch it. Even I don't know everything! And a heating system is a very subjective thing...every one of them is different.

3. He made an assessment that the owner didn't want to hear about any other issues and simply wanted it to work. This one is very common and needs to be tempered with safety and liability issues.

4. A techically correct installation is often subject to interpretation, application and experience. For instance, start a thread here about the correct orientaton of an expansion tank...the manufacture says that it may be oriented in any axis...but the opinons and interpretations, and esperiences here will tell a very different story.

5. The system had been working, he may have made the decision that the technical changes, however great, would not be justified on a cost/benefit basis.

6. He may have been intimidated by the owner's apparent knowledge and felt that the whole call was a trap. This one is very common,and good companies get sued every day in this situation.

7. Sometimes the tech gets the feeling that he is merely a convienience to do the menial tasks that the infinitely smarter, wiser, experienced and more qualified homeowner, (or the male relative in command of the situation), simply does not want to condescend to do. This is not particularly inspiring.

8. One man's technically correct is not always the next man's technically correct. The advice given here on the wall, or in books, or on the back of supply house invoices over the hood of his truck are given in a theoretical vacuum without consideration of real world inconvieniences like available space, budget, material availablility, system requirements, existing equipment, time, perceived willingness of the owner, perceived downside of the condition, perceived ability to pay and willingness of the contractor to do business with the owner.

9. He may have been busy, or behind schedule, or maybe his kid was in trouble at school, or one of his co-workers needed a hand with something heavy, or maybe it was lunch time, or maybe he just had to go...

10. Maybe his boss, or dispatcher, is gonna holler at him if he gets involved in a lengthy discussion about your system. He was allowed a minimum time for the call and if he runs longer than that he has to justify it to his superiors. Giving free system evaluations is tough to justify...try it at the doctors office next time you take in your kid...ask if he will check your whatzit too.

11. Most service techs have a minimum time charge...perhaps a 90 minute minimum...that covers the on site time, restock time, travel time, and other various time stealers in his day. A 90 minute minimum does not mean that he has to spend every minute of it in your basement.

Just a serviceman's perspective.
  • tom_49
    tom_49 Member Posts: 269
    but the pro is the one who's liable.

Well Bob, I cant be every where at once thats why I hire men....good men. Do they screw up, you bet, and I pay. But if we do a job for you and its not right, I will see to it that it is done right even at my expense. If I did everything myself, I would not have time to run my business i.e. taking care of my customers.

TRUST ME, 99.9% of the contractors are here because they want to better themselves and ultimately serve their customers better. I know a bunch of heating contractors who have never come here, because they dont use computers......no kidding.

So, if you get a pro from here ( and i dont advertise here), odds are you're getting someone who wants, and will do right for his customers, even if the work isnt physically done by him.
  • Jim Pompetti
    Jim Pompetti Member Posts: 552
    Pros

I usually go out and look a all jobs , but my son and his helper do the re pipe . Anyone knowing him ,knows he is a perfectionist . After each job we reinspect , making sure all is right.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,872
    possible solutions

Jian, assuming that the pro you allude to is versed in steam systems (not all are) as HO I would have a paid consultation or an estimate with the guy to assess your system's issues and see if now's the time to address them. e.g. if your boiler was nearing the end of its life-cycle then the issues could be addressed when it is replaced, which would usually be more economical.

good luck,

David
  • Douglas Hicks
    Douglas Hicks Member Posts: 69

If you have questions about the job, call the owner of the company. None of us like to receive that kind of call, but we need to receive them if we are to properly service our customers.
  • Douglas Hicks
    Douglas Hicks Member Posts: 69

If you have questions about the job, call the owner of the company. None of us like to receive that kind of call, but we need to receive them if we are to properly service our customers.
This discussion has been closed.