Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Impressed with you guys...

Billy_12
Billy_12 Member Posts: 25
I say that because this site and Dan's books are such an impressive knowledge base. Here's why:
I'm renovating part of my basement. I removed these awful ceiling mounted rads. They were horribly installed and didn't even match. Anyway, I knew that they would affect my perfectly balanced system but wasn't sure how. So I browsed this site and Dan's books for as much info as I could. The system reacted exactly as expected because of what I learned. It was a great experiment. I pulled 2 rads and here's what happened; The system started short cycling because it was creating more steam than was needed, thus building up pressure and tripping the pressuretrol (set for 1.5psi). Before pulling the 2 rads, the system showed no pressure. The system is also creating more steam than it could condensate, so this causes the water in the gauge to drop, sometimes tripping the autofeed.
Now normally I would be in a panic, but I expected this to happen because of my research. I plan to put back 2 rads into the system but in the meantime to remedy the problem I replaced my .85 nozzle with a .556(?). This solved the problems - over-pressure/short cycling and the low water cut-off. The only thing interrupting the steam process now is the Hydrolevel CG450 auto test. The system hums again. I did notice that it takes a bit longer to satisfy the t-stat. I will up the nozzle to a .65 or .7. I'm not sure what's out there.
With the smaller (.556) nozzle, I did notice an oil smell from the flame. Is this because the pump pressure is too high for the smaller nozzle? I could barely see the flame from the port but I adjusted it to be orange/blue, more on the orange side. I know this isn't the proper way to set the flame. Are there unforeseen (at least by me) problems that I will encounter by reducing the nozzle? Like I said, this is temporary because I'm eventually putting 2 rads back into the equation.
Thank you all. You guys are great.

btw...I read this site every day even when I don't have heating problems. My wife thinks I'm nuts.
Dan, "Heating Help" magazine? I'll subscribe! And if you're hiring I could be your Art Director ;)
This discussion has been closed.