Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Quetion about bottom feeding a tank for 3 units

definitely bottom feed to sludge pot, with the tank pitched to remove any sediment,water --this will keep the tank from rotting

Comments

• Marilyn_4
    Marilyn_4 Member Posts: 26
    Can I bottom feed a tank for 3 units

A 330 gallon oil tank is being installed replacing 2 tanks.

There are 3 units in the home. 1 water heater and 2 heating units.

Can I feed all 3 units from a 3 way tee from the bottom of the oil tank?

Currently the 2 heating units are 2 pipe. The hot water heater is a 1 pipe system.

Another thing I would like to do is to make all 3 units 1 pipe. In order to do that I would have to remove the bypass plug and seal the pump holes with a fitting. Is this correct?

I haven't seen the units so I dont' know what types of pump they have.

Thanks,
    Maz
  • The Boiler Dr.
    The Boiler Dr. Member Posts: 163
    Using a bottom feed is not

a good idea. Any dirt, moisture and sediment will enter your lines and could prematurely plug your lines and/or filters. I might be inclined to run a larger diameter main line to the building/mechanical room then split to each appliance and install Tiger Loops at each burner.
    Just my .02
  • ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    bottom feed

if you must use the bottom tapping off the oil tank go to 1/2 in to near the appliances then tee off to 3/8 then a tigerloop make sure each burner has an oil filter after the tigerloop
  • Marilyn_4

According to my instruction at NORA bottom feeding is better because it allows the sediment and if any water developes to the filter and prevents sludge and water build up in the tank.

I'm also curious as to why you wouldn't just leave it one line without a tiger loop. In other words: why a tiger loop?

Maz
  • ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    bottom feed

tiger loops help elimanate any air that is in the oil if you tee off at the tank with 3 3/8 oil lines you could be pulling the oil so fast that you get air bubbles
  • The Boiler Dr.
    The Boiler Dr. Member Posts: 163
    Is the tank inside out

How far from the tank to the equipment?
    I believe in dual filtration .. primary close to the tank or service entrance and secondary as close to the burner as possible. Tiger loops are also available with a 7-10 Micron filter as part of the loop. If there are ever any air issues with your fuel system, the "loop" will help solve them.
    Just my .02
  • Ken Field
    Ken Field Member Posts: 123
    I agree with Maz

All the stuff you guys are trying to keep from the burner can be removed with a good filter. Further, you are leaving all that moisture and sludge inside the tank. That is the last place you want moisture. If that tank is pitched toward the outlet, none of that moisture can grow sludge in the tank. That is what you really want. Use an OSV if you want to be safer. A standard felt filter at the tank and 10 micron filters at each appliance and you should be set for a long time. If you ever see bacteria when you change the felt filter, treat the tank for a year with biocide and you will be back in business.
  • Marilyn_4
    Ken F

Ken, we are in agreement about the tank.

I have other questions if you don't mind. A little background information may help. I'm NORA certified. I'm a woman. My name is Marilyn. I don't like to bother my mentor and favorite teacher Wayne, known as Oilpro. I think he posts here often.

The questions I have are:
    -Can I keep all three units as one line systems without tiger loops?
    -Can I make a 3 way tee from the tank to all the units?

Two of them are already set up as 2 line systems.

Thanks,
    Marilyn
  • Ken Field
    Ken Field Member Posts: 123
    Marilyn

If the lines stay lower than the bottom of the tank all the way to the units, there is no need for 2 pipe or tigerloops. If they go up and overhead, that is a different story. You should be able to tee off wherever you want. The flow rate is relatively low with one pipe. Hope this helps.
  • Marilyn_4

Thank you. It does help...a lot :>)

Marilyn
This discussion has been closed.