Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Add 2nd Floor Radiators

mark ransley
mark ransley Member Posts: 155
Add more radiators and your bill will go higher, maybe the boiler isnt set up right

Comments

• erich_4
    erich_4 Member Posts: 5
    Add 2nd Floor Radiators

Hello. I am considering adding 2 radiators to my 2nd floor. It was attic space that was converted to living space by a previous owner. They put electric heat in which is killing me.

It looks like there are 2 1" supply pipes on the 2nd floor. I have not uncapped them as of yet to make sure that they are steam pipes. If they are, I am considering these units: http://www.steamradiators.com/steam-radiator-ct.html due to lack of space. The rooms are 18x12 and 15x14. I used the factor of 40 (living in NJ). Looks like I need the 24x48 size. Does anyone have these units?

I have a Bryant boiler that was installed 4 years ago. My heating bills went up considerably after the new boiler was installed. There are currently 6 cast iron units on the system. It seems to me that the boiler is oversized. Would adding the 2 radiators help the situation?

In addition, what else should I be concerned with?
  • Joe R
    Joe R Member Posts: 11
    Second Floor Radiators

Perhaps you should do a heat loss calc. and you will know whether your unit is oversized. Your bill won't necessarily go up because you are adding radiators. Too bad the other responder is a typical chip on the shoulder contractor. It is a problem with those out of control contractors that do not care; haven't got the time to do a proper job; just plain lazy; and the plain greedy. It is sad that quality, customer service and pride have been flushed down the toilet. you boys know who I am talking about. Some diy'rs are well informed and many know just as much if not more about a project as you do. So give them the respect that thay give you and give a response not a sarcastic jib.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Are your existing radiators

cast-iron? If so, those steamradiator.com units won't work well- they're steel, and would go cold much faster than cast-iron. The rooms will be uncomfortable.

Have a REAL heat-loss calculation done on those rooms. Then you'll know for sure what size you need.

It's possible to find small cast-iron radiators so skinny that they'll fit behind a door.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.