Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Radiator Banging - and yeh, I did that...

Options
Paul_97
Paul_97 Member Posts: 2
I've seen numerous posts here and elsewhere regarding noisy, banging, steam radiators, and they all recommend 1) making sure the radiators are properly canted towards the valves 2) making sure the valves are fully open and 3)replacing vents.

I've done all of these things, plus numerous consultations with plumbing/heating people both this year and last...

And nothing has changed...I'm still woken up every night by very loud clanking and gurgling radiators. Are my only viable options to remove the offending radiators and try to flush them or replace them?

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Comments

• Brad White_191
    Brad White_191 Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Is it

just one radiator or all of them?

What you have done so far, just those three things, is not wasted; you just eliminated some of the potential causes.

If they are all clanking or many of them, it could be pipe pitch or lack of insulation.

If gurgling, ditto or other cause of wet steam (think "near-boiler piping").
  • Michael Wilson
    Michael Wilson Member Posts: 46
    Options
    Near Boiler Piping

Pics of the near boiler piping would be helpful

;-)

Mike
  • Paul_97
    Paul_97 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Pics Near Boiler

I'm attaching a few pics... the boiler is a circa 1956 American Standard that was converted to gas at some point (the gun is pretty new). The main stack splits into two pipes...I only get banging in the radiators fed by the pipe that heads to the back of the house. I've done my best with hangers and shims to give the pipe some slant back towards the boiler, but there's very little vertical to work with between the branch off the main stack and the back of the house, which is probably 30+ feet away. Do you think this could be the problem?
  • WoW

Interesting insulating job,,,tough to see from those pics but I would say the near boiler piping should be looked at.
    BTW- How many units is this chimney flue picking-up?

Dave
This discussion has been closed.