Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Raypak boiler whistles

Options
S Ebels_2
S Ebels_2 Member Posts: 74
When I encounter weird noises emanating from a copper tube type boiler, it is caused by flow issues through the HX. The noise will get progressively worse as the boiler ages due to restriction in the HX caused by mineral buildup and other assorted goo and gunk collecting in there.

If it's a fairly new install the answer could be as straight forward as getting a higher flow rate through the HX. If it's been in service for a while and has just started making the noise, you'll want to invest some $$ into a chemical treatment to attempt internal cleaning of the HX.

Comments

• Tyler Kingery
    Tyler Kingery Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Help with raypak boiler

A friend has a Raypak boiler used for space heating in his home. The boiler makes a whistling sound as it nears it high temp setting on the aquastat. Can anybody give me answers as what to try to get the sound to go away.
  • troy_8
    troy_8 Member Posts: 109
    Options
    Copper fin whistles

Try increasing the water pres. Sometimes you can increase the water pres. enough to eliminate the high pitch squeel. I've heard boilers that could raise the dead. If raising the pres. doesn't help then you have to clean the inside of the tubes. Raypak makes a cleaning kit to achieve this. Just make sure you have new tube gaskets before you start.
  • Whistler

That's a water quality or "lack there of issue". If you check the waters TDC or Conductivity it will be high. Lower it and correct that issue and the boiler will remain quiet. Do not exceed the manufactures minimum flow rates also is a must.
This discussion has been closed.