Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dressing up exposed PEX?

Options
Jim Franklin
Jim Franklin Member Posts: 170
I'm installing some Buderus panel rads which will be fed from a perpendicular wall about 4' away. Running through the floor or mounting wall isn't an option. Using 1/2" copper kills my flow rate (I need 1.7gpm). So 5/8" pex or 3/4" copper is what I need. Are there any long chrome sleeves available for piping this big? I have looked online and see nothing. I have a feeling I'll need to adapt something chrome like a motorcyle exhaust :-)

thanks,
jim

Comments

• singh
    singh Member Posts: 866
    Options

seems like 17,000 btu/h is what you have at a 20 degree temp difference, why can't you use 1/2" pipe?
    I had one panel job where a carpenter built out the base mouldings and we ran behind it.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jim Franklin
    Options

Buderus recommended no more than 1.5 gpm through the diverter valves, which I'll need because it's a loop system without Monoflos. If it becomes a huge pain to get large sleeves, I'll put in the 1/2" copper and run it a bit hotter at 1.5.

jim
  • Singh_9
    Singh_9 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    table 7

chart in the panel rad manual does recommend the pipe sizes not to exceed those as listed.
    But no more than 2gpm thru a diverter valve, so your ok.
    So , you can have a higher delta across the rads, or up size the rads.
    what rads are you using, and what is your heat load.
    I had piped up to three rads with diverters and no problems.

see attached chart

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jim Franklin
    Options

The heat load is 17,037, and rads add up to 16, 670. There is enough heat transfer from the 1st floor that I (bachelor) can live upstairs and not freeze to death, so I'm not too worried about the slight undersizing. I also don't know how much the heat loss calc software takes 1st floor transfer into account since every house is different. I get the feeling there's a lot of conservatism built in.

So it sounds like using the 1/2 copper would work. Now if I could find a reasonably priced storage tank to supply the system with...

jim
This discussion has been closed.