Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Staple up project

Options
Mark Custis
Mark Custis Member Posts: 539
"System-Sizer" wheel from Bell$Gossett, it maybe available on their web site. It will give you the pipe and pump sizes you need.

We just finished an extuded plate with 3/8" pex and just added a zone valve and a three way mixing valve. The three way lowers the tempurature to the floors. We will commission it today. The main circulator is a Taco 007, ran the curve and have plenty of pump.

Film at 11:00

Comments

• MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Options
    Staple up project

I'm looking to add a staple up job for the second floor of my freinds house, heatloss for the 2nd floor is just under 19,000 btuh, it is also served by a central air system w/a hydro coil, 4 bedrooms (all w/carpet) and about 100 square ft of hallway w/3/4" soild oak flooring. And another zone in the Gsarage ceiling for the master's closets. The hallway will have the tubing suspended from underneath, and the bedrooms will have one row of 3/8" pex w/aluminum plates (Mr.Pex)and all the bays will get insulated w/an air space. The HW boiler is a cast iron boiler w/a pumping away set up, not primary/secondary. This is the way I would like to set up the radiant side, A Taco I-Valve either w/set pt. or reset, than a Taco vortech air vent, 3-speed Grundos pump all leading to the supply side of the 5-port manifold ,then the return heading back and tieing in the outlet side of the I-Valve and going back to the return side of the boiler.How does this sound? and do you think 3/4" tubing to and from the manifold sets will be enough, or should I go w/ 1". I had posted a similar question last week and I got some good feed back from Hot Rod, but I am looking to change the set up a little bit, ...Thanks guys...
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    were

you working in Bridgeport CT, Mark? We were doing the same job :)

Except for the Super Brute I used vs. your ZV. :)
  • Mark Custis
    Options
    GM Bob

Last thing I did in CT was a pair of water to air geothermals last winter.

This job is in Cleveland, OH area. I have been fighting for two days with a flow issue. Tearing it down today to look for pennies in the pex-al-pex or a bad three-way mixer.

The customer got some of the sheet graphite that Apple uses to cool laptops. The material should make the floor very fast.
  • MikeyB
    Options
    syzer

Thanks Mark, I have the syzer on my computer, I was going to orignally go w/a thermostatic valve, but I like the fact that the I-Valve has the nice boiler protection.
  • Mark Custis
    Options
    The way I pipe

The three way is to lower the floor delivery temps. The little bit of cool water seeing a return to the boiler does not lower the chest to condensing tempuraturs.

I will look at that control after work.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Options
    if

the radiant load is generally 25% or under of the boiler's net, I wouldn't worry about condensation.
  • MikeyB
    Options
    radiant

Thanks for your imput Bob, I guess i am being a little over cautious, Also i am going to have a total of 5 loops on the mainfold approx 200'-225' of 3/8 tubing on each loop, would you recommend setting up the maniflod in reverse/return?
  • Bob Bona_4
    Options
    yes

do first out last in.

Your first loop supply starting from the supply manifold boiler inlet should be the last loop return furthest from the return manifold outlet to the boiler. Not so easy to describe:)

Try to have the highest load loop take off first.

All this will help balance out the system.
  • MikeyB
    Options
    radiant

Sounds good to me Bob, I thank you for your help
  • Jim_64
    Jim_64 Member Posts: 253
    Options
    loop lenghts

though 3/8 loop lght max where 180 ft and 1/2 where 250 ft but i could be wrong menory sucks clammy
  • MikeyB
    Options
    radiant

Thanks Clammy, I am going to try to keep them under 200 feet if possible,
  • Mark Custis
    Options
    It sucks to get old

When we find out what we want to with our lives we have worn out our bodies. I think our gray hair is really brain cells jumping ship.

Clammy I feel your pain.

Mickey, good looking out, I hope to help prevent what happened to me today.

Old eyes, (i am not a Taco, guy but I could become one), saw an 007 as 1/2 hp not 1/12th hp. So I thought this pump would go from RI to OH no problem. WRONG.

Taco makes good products. I just do not know the numbers.

Well, I had planned to injection pump this low flow radiant floor loop through a three-way mixer to lower floor temps. I though I was air bound, so I sent half of Lake Erie back to itself. Yes the snow in Cleveland is my fault.

This job was a first as to using 3/8" pexA, just a bathroom floor, and expansion for the master bedroom floor built into the math. I used my favorite manual three way mixer, plus swing checks to prevent migration, on a baseboard three zone system. I thought the 007 would pump to Toledo and back.

The mixer needs more flow than I am allowing it to see. A re-pipe told me so. One can never add enough valves.

Now knowing what I know I will install a second 007 to injection pump the floor and all will be good if I did not cook the second mixer.

Old dogs can learn new things.

"Spot, go hide under the boiler."

More news as available.
  • MikeyB
    Options
    pex pull

I hear ya Mark, just got back from pulling the first loop on my buddies job, first time doing radiant staple up, alot of things to consider, but I learn as i go. kept the first loop just under 200 feet (or 300'...I think :)), We hope the next 4 zones go a bit easier..
  • Mark Custis
    Options
    Now it works

The pump did the trick.

3/8" pexa in extrude al panels the covered with graphite and then cement board. Fastest floor I ever built.

Want to barrow my pex unwinder.
  • Jim_64
    Jim_64 Member Posts: 253
    Options
    memory sucks eyes OK

i know my memory sucks but at least my eyes are working not like some of my buddies espically when you replace a 240 volt relay with a 24 v that relay pulls in very quick and then goes boom i looked at the relay and said hey homey what ca mean 24 that relay is 240 ,oh that,s why it pulled in and went boom i said yeah i guess his lazer eye surgeory really wasn't that great ,and yup it sucks getting ole peace and good luck clammy
This discussion has been closed.