Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weird balance job

S. Shaw
S. Shaw Member Posts: 4
Hope someone out there can help me. I went to look at a balancing job at a single family residence. I'ts an oil-fired steam boiler, and what i thought was 1-pipe steam. the house has steam convectors thru-out and a small addition with recessed radiators. some of the convectors have a 3/4" supply pipe and a 1/2"return. No steam trap or
radiator valve. Other convectors just have 1 supply to it. All the radiators have a steam vent. The convectors w/two pipes are pitched toward the return. the convectors w/1 pipe are pitched up towards the vent. In the basement, the 2" main comes off the boiler header, and runs around the front and rear of the house, pitching downtowards the return. Although ther were no main vents in the basement, i found 1 2"x3/4" tee capped, and another tee of the same size used to connect to 1 large radiator in the addition. Both tees were the last fitting on the main, and app. 12" from the end of the main. I'm assuming these are for main vents. One final thing. On the convectors ther is a fitting that looks like a combination of a 3/4" bushing with a 1/8" elbow that the angle vent screws into. It is a Hoffman Specialty product, although no one from Hoffman that i spoke to knows what it is. Any ideas? Anyone?

Comments

• bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    one pipe steam

sounds like a simple one pipe steam system with a few return drips added. replace the main vents & balance with assorted size air valves. sounds like everything works some what properly.
This discussion has been closed.