Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fiberglass batts and kids - best practices

Options
I need to insulate joist bays in a radiant staple-up application from the basement...which happens to also be a kid's playroom. Is there 'best practices' for controlling the fiberglass fibers? Should I remove all toys, cover the furniture, etc? After the job is done, would a wipe down and vaccuum suffice? Should I not use fiberglass? I'm assuming the fibers released from handling and positioning the batts are a risk.

many thanks, jd

Comments

• Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    Options
    I have never

used fiberglass. I use a product called ROXUL. no itch, no mess, fire proof, sound prrofing, and can cut with a steak knife.
  • Aidan (UK)
    Aidan (UK) Member Posts: 290
    Options
    fibreglass batts

The fibres are not a known health risk, as is asbestos, but they are an irritant. Current Uk practice is to have no unsealed fibres. You can get aluminium foil faced batts which would encapsulate the fibres.

I once had a job in a building which had fan-coil units in the loft space. The insulation was glass-fibre blanket nailed to the ceiling joists with netting supporting it. The bearings on the fans failed, probably due to the fibres they had sucked in. I'd prefer not to inhale them.
  • ChasMan
    ChasMan Member Posts: 462
    Options
    Roxul.

Roxul is hard to get where I am. I used when I lived in Toronto though, it was a a vastly superior product to regular fiberglass. In Connecticut, you can have pink or white. Take your pick. I choose white every time. Its much less itchy and it forms better. In a dry installation like an interior ceiling, Id be tempted to go for that recycled blue jean stuff myself.
  • mark ransley
    mark ransley Member Posts: 155
    Options

Get the fiberglass batts that are already wrapped completely in plastic
  • Jim Franklin
    Jim Franklin Member Posts: 170
    Options

These are fibers of glass. Why would anyone think they are ok in lungs?

Remove everything from the room. Cover rugs and other porous surfaces with disposable plastic. Vacuum with an appropriate filter and wipe down when you're done.

jim
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

thanks everyone.

I can't find ROXUL anywhere. Bonded Logic makes insulation from jeans, but is very expensive. I'll look into the pre-wrapped option, too.
This discussion has been closed.