Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What would be a labor factor per SQ ft

Mad Dog_2
Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,405
than a 5' X 7' bathroom. Unless you are doing repetitive installs (new homes) of apartment buildings, I would have some basic parameters to work with, but most projects are slightly different. Mad Dog

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=299&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• bigugh_4
    bigugh_4 Member Posts: 406
    What would be a labor factor per SQ ft

to install stapel down radiant tube heating, and also for tie down to wire?
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,799
    Pricing?

Anywhere from a lot to a little. Why are you asking here? Do you have heating contractors you can call?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • bigugh_4
    bigugh_4 Member Posts: 406
    I know my price. It's not a price i am looking after.

The Q is How much time it takes to install a SQ ft. of radient on a stapel down floor, and a concerte wire tie down.
  • GW
    I'd have to see it

I am sure you're not happy with the "don't know" answer. I'm sorry.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    right.

I get asked this all the time. One GC even told me "my plumber charges me xx per sq ft". My response is every job is different.

Wish it was easy as sq. ft pricing.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Roughly speaking...

1.5 to 2 man hours for a 250 foot loop.

1.5 for a 12" staple down for a good crew.

2 hours for 9" OC tie down, unless you're using one of them fancy rebar tyeing machines, in which case a good crew can do it in an hour and a half.

Tube density (9" OC vs, 12" OC) has something to do with it as well.

So, for above example the labor factor for 12" on center staple down at 1' density per square foot would be 90 minutes divided by 250 foot length = .36 minutes per foot. Your milage may vary...

As MD pointed out, if it is in a tight space with lots of hair pin bends, at a tight center, the labor factor may be double.

Best bet is to approximate it, then track it on a regular basis and adjust your estimation spreadsheet accordingly. Ask your field guys often, because as they get better at it, their labor factor goes down, which is to your advantage as it pertains to efficiency and competitiveness.

ME

PS, How you doing ol' timer?

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Had the same situation on the phone the other day...

Pre-qualifying a job, and he said "My plumber does it for me for $4.00 per square foot!" I said GIVE ME HIS PHONE NUMBER, he's doing it for less than my direct costs of labor and material, I can hire him and get RICH QUICK...

dead silence, then CLICK, buzzzzzzz.

Yeah, right :-) I was born YESTERDAY!

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• GW
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Leo G_101
    Leo G_101 Member Posts: 87
    Gary

on average, my guys do about 2500 square feet a day. That is for 2 of them. But as Mad Dog states, that can change by the layout parameters. They just completed installing 11,500 feet of 3/4 tie down, plus 1500 feet of 1/2 tie down in four days. It was a 100 x 100 box basicaly.

But for my quoting, I generally work on the 2500 feet of tube per day.

Hope this helps,

Leo G
This discussion has been closed.