Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Good Programmable TSTAT for Steam

Jeff_130
Jeff_130 Member Posts: 31
Nicholas:

Thanks for the info. The Temprite is already a programmable one; but no cph adjustment. I've already replaced all the vents (main & rads) with new Gorton's last month... do you think the cph adjustment is worth upgrading to?

Comments

• Jeff_130

I currently have a TempRite 8082 that consistantly overshoots the set point. What is the best thermostat for a one pipe steam system?

Thanks.

Jeff
  • Jeff_130

I currently have a TempRite 8082 that consistantly overshoots the set point. What is the best thermostat for a one pipe steam system?

Thanks.

Jeff
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    steam thermostat

most people swear by the honeywell visionpro set for 1 or 2 cycles per hour. even more important is where you put it. your present thermostat may just be mis-setup for steam or in a bad location.

when these steam systems are properly setup, all the radiators should start to heat at the same time. if not, then a thermostat will not be able to compensate for a lack of venting, too much pressure, dirty water, etc.

a holistic, system-wide approach to solving steam problems usually works best.--nbc
  • Jeff_130

Nicholas:

Can you tell me more about cycles per hour. My current TSTAT doesn't give that option; it just has a "swing" adjustment (set to 0 now) that doesn't shut down when the tstat shows that it has reached the desired temp but rather continues until it exceeds the desired temp by a degree or two. No issues on the set point as far as turning on but if I set it for 68* it will fire until the temp hits at least 69* (which in a big old drafty house can be a substantial time). I'm working on the insulation/drafts as well.

Thanks.

Jeff
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    steam t-stat

if it is an old mercury bulb thermostat, it may be out of level. therefore 68 will register as 69. with a new digital model the out of level situation does not affect it. many people here swear by the old style mercury bulb type, properly leveled, and set up for anticipation.

the old t-stats had a small electric heating coil inside [the anticipator] to trick the thermostat into thinking that the desired set-point had been reached early. this compensates for the heat still in the rads at burner shutdown, which will continue heating the room for a while. the new honeywells have a cycles per hour setting, which will cause the boiler to make only that number of temperature corrections [firings] per hour. this makes the boiler run longer cycles less frequently, which is better for steam. with other types of heating systems the cph might be 6. if you are only a degree off, then that is not too bad, and maybe the money spent on a new thermostat would have been better spent on something else for the system, like new main vents [not radiator vents], as you can buy 4 gorton #2's for 1 h/w visionpro t-stat. the main venting, and low pressure is one of the most important parts of any steam system--nbc

PS do a search here [button on orange banner above] for programmable thermostat or setback. you can actually achieve no savings under certain conditions.
  • Kim_4
    Kim_4 Member Posts: 1
    HEAT 2 ?? Slow to heat

We have a temprite setback-8050c. Several times per week, it will flash Heat 2 and then the fan runs and runs and the temp rises very very slowly. Sometimes hours to raise 5-10 degrees. Other days it runs fine and reaches set temp in a normal time frame. What does the flashing HEAT 2 mean?
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,405
    Honeywell T-87 Round

If you can still get a mercury one off the shelp grab it. I the new digital t-87s are not as exacting. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.