Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

old army pics

I found a 1920 census list I had hanging around. Alphonse "Malley" is listed as 10 in 1920. Turns out he was 3 years younger than my grandfather. That would make him ~ 32ish in 1942 and probably pushing 36 when he got out. He looks much older in those pics. Especially the last one.

Comments

• singh
    singh Member Posts: 866
    Just sharing

some old photos I found on the internet of my dad in Vietnam .
    He is retired Army , and was an avionics technician, of the 282nd signal detachment, part of the 68th Assault Helicopter Company '68.

I sent him the links, he had not seen these in a long time.

I'm very proud of his service to our country, as well as all those who served in southeast asia during that time.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Blackoakbob
    Blackoakbob Member Posts: 252
    Been there...

done that. I was in avionics, 114th AHC give him my best regards.
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

Please thank him for his service for me.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • If I might...

post some even older pics. My uncle "Malley" (his real name was Alphonse) served 36 months in New Guinea 1942-1945 US Army Special Boat Battalion. He volunteered as a coxswain at the age of 36. Bet you didn't know the Army had it's own Navy back then. ;)

Pardon the blurries, they are pictures I took of the pictures as I have no scanner.

The sign says, "Remember this, Take Atabrine" At first i thought Atabrine was an Island in the South Pacific. Turns out Atabrine was the med they took to ward off malaria.

And yes, thank your dad for his service for me as well.
  • Timco

How about Navy? Here is Ned Schmitz, my grandpa. (passed about a year ago) He joined in WWII, and had quite a career. While in Navy, he invented a fster way to sync the front machine guns with the props, and when a young LT came out to see this new procedure, he went back to washington and claimed it as his own and received a promotion for Ned's idea. After the Navy, he was in rocket testing and his private firm tested a batch of connectors that had a new, thin coating on the wires for insulation. He told the company that made them they were failing, but was told to shut up and was sworn to secrecy. Those connectors were used in Apollo 1.

Tim
  • Timco

I love the shadows of the photographer looking down into the camera to take the shots! Please thank yer uncle (if still with us) for me for his service, as with any who post servicemen's pics here.

Tim
  • Unfortunately,,,

Uncle Mal passed away ~1991. He did live to the ripe old age of 90 though. I recently aquired the trench knife he carried. Still has the leather tie down.

I think I have the age mixed up though, My Grandfather, his brother, was younger and he was born in 1906 so uncle Mal had to be a few years older. I think maybe he was 39 when he volunteered. I'd have to go back through the family records again to iron that out. Anyhow, the pic of him in the regular army uniform was taken after he left New Guinea ~1945. You can see the toll the duty took on him in just three years there. He never talked about it at all but I know he never forgave the Japanese for what they were doing to us down there.

I know, the shadow adds some certain essence to the pictures. ;)
  • Nice...

:)
  • Darin Cook_8
    Darin Cook_8 Member Posts: 31
    Devan

Please pass along to your Dad my thanks for his service in the "Nam". Our Vietnam vets fought a war that was unpopular at home and were treated like crap when they got back home. I salute all of them. I don't have any pics of my Granpa's service during WWII in Africa but I do have my own weapon and fake beer pic from Iraq!

Darin
  • Thanks to you too...

;)
  • Wayne_29
    Wayne_29 Member Posts: 50
    God Bless America!

Devan, Thanks for sharing my friend...
  • Paul Fredricks_11
    Paul Fredricks_11 Member Posts: 12
    Dad

Here's a picture of my Dad. He was in the Battle of the Bulge. Spent 3 days in a field playing dead to avoid capture. Interogated prisoners due to his knowledge of the German language. Was hit by a boat, on land, and sent home early.

My sister and I have been scanning letters that my Mom had saved that he had written home. Great stuff.

We just lost him last year. What a great Dad and a great guy.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,405
    Cool Devan...I am proud of him too and all of Vietnam Vets

It is a permanent "black mark" on our otherwise fine history...how many Americans treated our boys...we'll......horribly. Thanks, for sharing...Mad Dog
  • Mad Dog_2
    Under Mac Arthur

The Owen Stanley Mountains and the turning point of THE Pacific war. God Bless him too. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mad Dog_2
    absoutely awesome......Paul

We had a good family friend, Peter Russo Jr, born in Troy NY who got seperated from his army unit during "The Bulge" and survived on Enemy candy bars he got off dead Germans...for two weeks....hiding out. He came home and raised 5 kids in Ravena and always enjoyed life. Mad Dog

This discussion has been closed.