Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

starting a loopsystem

Pat_32
Pat_32 Member Posts: 13
I have a gas boiler brand new 1 loop hot water baseboard system that has been sitting over a year in a rental property. I'm not even sure if there is water in it. I will be there tommorrow. I know the two side by side water valves are both in off position. Do I just turn them on or is ther a specific sequence I need to do to get the heating system going? Especially if there is no water in the system? Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    Not enough information to go on.

Going in, I would assume "no water" as a worst case (or the best but imperfect way to lay up a building if there is a freeze risk).

Some issues or conditions you may encounter:

-If the mains are empty and this is a series loop system as you suggest, you may have to purge the circuit in order to fill it. Even if laid up wet, there may be some settled air in the lines, I would have no idea of course.

-The boiler pressure gauge might help indicate any water in the system. I would think 12 PSI minimum for up to two storeys and 18 PSI for up to three storeys.

The best advice I can give you though is to get a professional heating contractor in there.

The safety devices, ignition system, relief valves, etc. have been sitting in a space likely unheated. Some corrosion may have occurred, who knows what condition they are in? This ought not be done by remote especially not knowing your expertise, qualifications or comfort level.
This discussion has been closed.