Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New steam Ng savings

mark ransley
mark ransley Member Posts: 155
We have a big old Kiwanee steam heating 14 units. What do people actualy see in energy savings with new boilers. I have been told 30% is common.

Comments

• Brad White_191
    Brad White_191 Member Posts: 252
    Mis-applied statistics

Savings of 30% are not uncommon when switching from an older steam system or hot water system to a new modulating condensing boiler using outdoor reset. If applied to a building with new insulation and air sealing, this savings can double... not absolute but order of magnitude.

When replacing an older steam boiler with a new steam boiler, the efficiency may well be a few points, especially if you are replacing a 78% system with one that has an AFUE of 85%...

But the larger question is, what about piping, both near the boiler and away? Operating pressure? Pipe insulation?

We are talking systems here, not just boilers, in any case imaginable.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    The Only Reply

is "It Depends".

What type of steam system do you have-one or two pipe?

Has the system been properly upgraded and maintained?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357

As everyone else says it depends. Often times the savings are from having a more accurate size of boiler, better near boiler piping and servicing the distribution system so steam can go where it is needed but also not go where it is not needed as in using TRVs instead of open windows to reduce the heat in units. The additon of staged firing or staged boilers and outdoor resets can also add savings.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • mark ransley
    mark ransley Member Posts: 155

Steam Pipes are insulated, windows are new, but bills and pressure is high, pressure is 3 lb, tomorrow I am buying a Vaporstat. Venting is uneven and many apartments are hot so i am addressing that issue. But I read the Kiwanee is 82% steady state and my savings is mainly from heating less water. I wish there was a heat recovery system for the wasted exhaust heat, I have not seen any low temp exhaust steam units of 1,100,000 btu, its still a shame to throw 17% of your money up the chimney with a new steam unit.
  • Jim Pompetti
    Jim Pompetti Member Posts: 552
    Savings

I have been told by my customer of saving of 25% , but they go for the whole ball of wax

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • The Boiler Dr.
    The Boiler Dr. Member Posts: 163
    Savings ... depends

"Savings" is a very subjective topic of conversation! As others have stated there are many factors to consider. I recently completed a project that is accurately monitored and "saw" the true results. See post on New Boiler Savings. I am now a true believer in Steam Heating Efficiency as preached by Steamhead and Dan.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Overheated Rooms

Waste steam. I'd work on them before worrying about the 17% going up the chimney.

• oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641

that size boiler you should have a modulating burner on it --there is a control on the boiler to drop to low fire before shutdown and maintain steam for a certain amount of time depending on what control you have ---Heat-Timer Steam timer etc.. //////////////////////////////////////////////// you wouldn't recoup much savings by just replacing the boiler --address you balance issues,insulate, tighten up the building , first then have the controls adjusted -----if that burner has a modulating control on it --you can adjust it so it runs more efficient - they are variable rate burners --lots of adjustments can be made ---got any pictures ??
This discussion has been closed.