Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The Wire Nut Needs Help (for a friend)

The Wire Nut
The Wire Nut Member Posts: 422
Hi Frank!

Actually been meaning to call you to say hello! Somehow it's always 2am when I remember...

When they lost heat I had them change the felt and spin-on filters. When they went to purge no fuel came out. I had them check if there was any flow into the 1st filter and nothing. So hopefully they won't clog up the new spin-on before the end of the season!

How's by you and TLN?

AM
"Let me control you"

Lost in SOHO NYC and Balmy Whites Valley PA

Comments

• The Wire Nut
    The Wire Nut Needs Help (for a friend)

Update: Their oil company came and found the fuel was "gelled". They threw in 4 bottles of "Liquid Heat" and blew back the line. The tech decided to change the nozzle and when questioned by my friends (well trained by me!) the tech explained that he sets the flame so that it looks "crisp". In this day and age, yet.

I'll head up with the Bacharach and get them tuned...

Thanks!

Hey all,

I have friends in Crompond NY 10517 who seem to have a clogged (#2) oil line. Filters are new. Had them crack open the flare nut before the filters and no fuel flow. They just got a load of oil a day or so ago so I suspect a clog.

It's Sat. afternoon and they are almost a full day without heat. MadDog gave me the name of two oil companies near there but if anyone has a tech who could get there today and blow out the line, that would be great...

Respond here and it will notify me!

Thanks!

Alex (The Wire Nut) Marx...
    "Let me control you"

• The Boiler Dr.
    The Boiler Dr. Member Posts: 163
    EH Alex

I would be happy to help but the 3 day commute might be a problem! Any excuse for Miss Mary to get back to explore "The Apple" ya know, EH! Sorry I couldn't resist.
    How's life and the weather treating y'all?
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Alex, do they have a filter on the oil line?

If so, change the filter element. If not, it would be a real good idea to install one. You never know what will come out of that tank now........

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556

To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    I must disagree

not checking for proper combustion after replacing a nozzle or making any other change, is a cardinal sin. Far better to test than guess, and setting it up by eye ("crisp" flame is a new one on me though) is guessing.

Sure it was unusually cold, and there were probably lots of other calls waiting, but we all know it really doesn't take that long to run the test if you have a digital analyzer......

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556

To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • The Wire Nut

Truly unbelievable that he risked lives on "crisp". My otherwise top-notch service company in the city just did a nice maintanence on the boiler but the tech had a shaker bottle! It just seemed so 1940s to me... If my Bacharach hadn't been out of service with a bad probe, I'd of let him use mine.

I'm going to head up to my friends' house in the next few weeks and give them a good tuning. Then again I barely managed to change my own boiler's filters and nozzle this year!
    "Let me control you"

• The Wire Nut

Robert,

For some reason I don't see your posts on the Wall but they showed up in my email.

Not throw them under a bus, but certainly be very disappointed. I realize that this is a horrendous time of year for service but that's no excuse for not doing a 10 minute procedure that could save lives and fuel.

How would you like if I came to your office when your network or PCs were down, got them running but didn't reinstall your applications, settings and printers because there were other service calls and this was my "busy time?" I'd be out of business in a week or working for the Geek Squids for $10 an hour.

Service is service, and it's not about speed and quantity but about quality, completeness and responsibility.

JMHO...

AM
    "Let me control you"

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Keeping busy

fall/winter/spring is when we both make most of our money. But even now, projected summer projects are looking real good.....

This discussion has been closed.