Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam boiler

Doesn't look like the gauge works. It is reading 10 inches of Vacuum!

Comments

• john deforge
    john deforge Member Posts: 1
    unusual tank on steam boiler

can anyone tell me what this tank is for? the heating system has been working fine until last week. now it takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours for the house to get warm. steam is traveling up the main and return at the same time which i believe is causing a long time to heat. could something have failed in the tank. please see following pictures
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357

Have you checked you water level? The basics for vent function? From the pictures I believe the tank is simply a steam chamber meant to dry the steam before it goes up into the supply piping. There should be no moving parts in it. The photo of the sight glass appeared to show the water level was near the bottom of the glass. Has the system been serviced this year, flushed, skimmed, and cleaned?
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    mystery tank

it looks like your pressure is at 10 psi, which is much too high. perhaps your pressuretrol has failed,which is allowing the burner to run rampant, instead of shutting off on pressure. if this is the case, then consider replacing it with a vaporstat, to get the accurate control of low pressures which are better for steam.

i don't know about the tank. it may have been something to dry the steam, before it goes out to the main. if it were mounted a bit lower, i would guess it was to keep some extra water in reserve for the boiler, but it looks as if you have an auto-fill for that purpose.--nbc
  • Brad White_191
    Brad White_191 Member Posts: 252
    Tank

I just see that as a fabricated header made out of welded pipe. As nbc said, to dry the steam. The person was probably a welder or salvaged it. The end caps look like something from a welding class project (meant in a good way, a sample of how to close off a pipe with plate).

My $0.02

Brad
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Many Sears steam boilers

had those steam separators. IIRC, Dunkirk made the boiler for Sears.

It may be that the boiler has finally rotted out above the waterline.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.