Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pigtail on pressuretrol clogged??

Jason_44
Jason_44 Member Posts: 60
What type of tool do you use to clean a pigtail?

Jason

Comments

• Jason_44

The gauge on my 1-pipe steam boiler never moves, but I do hear the boiler cycle on and off, telling me the pressuretrol is working (it cycles on and off while the thermostat is still calling for heat).

How do I know if the pigtail is clogged? Could the gauge just be faulty?

Jason
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    gauge not working?

probably you have the standard 0-30 psi gauge that came with the boiler and is required for safety code purposes.the most efficient oporating pressures for steam are in the 1 psi or lower. the original gauge would be unable to show such a low pressure. a good low pressure gauge [gaugestore.com 0-3 psi], mounted on the same pigtail, will be able to show you what your actual pressure is. from that reading you can tell if your main vents are being over pressured, pigtail blocked, or if the system is at its most suitable pressure. without such a gauge you won't know if you are cycling on pressure instead of thermostat. it's like having an oil pressure gauge in your car.it's not needed every day, but could save your engine when there is trouble.--nbc
  • Jason_44

The burner cycles on and off, even when the thermostat is calling for heat. That suggests to me that the pressuretrol is working. Also, pressuretrol is on it's lowest setting.

The existing gauge (mounted on the pigtail) reads 0-15psi. Again, it never moves.

As far as venting goes, I've got two big honkin' Gorton #2 vents on the main and all radiator vents are operable.

Would a clogged pigtail cause the gauge to not work? Or should I just replace the gauge?
  • Yes

A clogged pigtail would cause the gauge not to move, also it could be a bad gauge, i'd replace them both. Nick is correct, the pressure may be too low for the gage to see it.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    cleaning piggy

take it to the hardware store, and buy apropriate adapters to go from piggy-size to garden hose size. connect it to a garden hose tap, and let the water flow through at full pressure, until it is clear [or just get another one in brass or copper].--nbc
  • JB_8
    JB_8 Member Posts: 85
    Get a brass one

http://www.mcmaster.com/ Page 578 don't forget to fill it with water when you put it in.
This discussion has been closed.