Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler not working today

mark ransley
mark ransley Member Posts: 155
Thanks, as a matter of fact 2 weeks ago the fire box got wet after a domestic water pipe above the boiler broke, then I dried out the plug and socket on the box the blower sits on, so Flame Out would make sense to me. I should clean the connection and keep an eye on it. Thanks, have a good day.

Comments

• mark ransley
    Boiler not working today

A tenant called me we had no heat I belive since last night, I know nothing really but we got lucky its running now, by pushing the reset on the boiler control. The boiler is a very old Kiwanee Ng steam for 14 units. The boiler control I refer to is what I believe has all the various systems safteys going to it to control everything, its an old one with 2 relays inside a 5" square grey box [they sell for 1000$ now]. My question, and from my limited experiance, is what could cause it to need to be reset by its reset button. I know my problems have just begun again. What could I check, I know my tech is 3 days behind. Thanks.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,932
    Safety Lock Out

Right now we know nothing but the control sensed a flame out. A trained tech could lisen, see and test reasons why it has locked out. As for you with all do respect, You can only sit and watch and see what happens when it locks out again . Then relay this info to the tech My recommendation it wait for the tech. I seen so many home owners at the supply house buying part after part guessing the solution ....

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    magic box

you could try to see what that box is monitoring. probably watching the pilot, lwco, steam pressure etc. can you trace any wires to get an idea if there is any obvious electrical fault? if out on pressure check the pigtail.do a google search of that box with serial numbers and see if a description comes up as to what it is really doing.

i agree that this may be a job for an experienced tech, but there is no harm in being the "eyes" for the tech, especially at this time of the year.

i have seen plenty of lower level techs buying part after part too!--nbc
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    That is probably a Honeywell RA4795 or RA890 control

If it got wet it MUST be replaced. Corrosion inside the flame safety can be extremely dangerous to these controls and you. As stated by mfrs of gas safety controls, any part that gets wet or is overheated by flames must be replaced due to possible safety issues. No ifs ands or buts. Tim
  • mark ransley

Sorry for the double question post, One I thought I did not post.

Its been a few weeks since a leak but I saw no water in the saftey control. Now it took about a full minute for the reset button to allow it to turn on, two weeks ago it took 5 seconds, I am just guessing but the saftey control sounds bad from taking a minute to allow a reset.
This discussion has been closed.