Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Some Pictures

I do have one suggestion, perhaps in progress: In the AHU-2 shot, there should be spring-neoprene isolation hangers in those rods over the fan section, probably stiffer ones, say 1" maximum static deflection given the size of the fan.

(They may be there but up high out of the view).

The return connection, does that have a flexible duct connection as well? If you isolate the fan, the ductwork too especially must be isolated. The unit has to "float". If you can move it as a unit with a finger and the duct flexible connections do not impose force on the ductwork itself, that is a good benchmark of effectiveness.

"Bumping the motor" for a short test run reveals much as I am sure you know. I would rather say than not. Noise issues when occupants are "in residence" tend to become "expected deficiencies" to which the occupants become sensitized. They cock an ear for the worst of expectations and this can outlast the euphoria of a new facility. I have been there. :)

Not to otherwise detract from a good project in the works!

Brad

Comments

• Basic components of studio project

Just a few pics i took the other day of the recording studio job I've been talking about. 2 buildings one 2500 sq ft the other 750 sq ft two stories. Connected from main pump room by ECOFLEX buried which can be seen in the "station" pics. We've dubbed the tank "Elroy" due to it's antenna looking air removal section. I stuck the air vent up there just becasue, it's not really needed because the Robur unit contains built in automatic air removal but I figured it'd clear out the tank automatically if any air decides to collect in there during intial operation. Below it is a boiler drain for dumping the major air pocket that will develop during initial fill. It's a little tall but was the best combo of parts I could get to reduce from 1 1/4" to 1/8". Lower right on the tank is a shut off and boiler drain to vent the branch lines during initial fill to prevent air in the lines fron making it into the tank as I charge them. The rest is self explanaotry. The stations are for the branch pumps. Each will have 2, one for the floors and one for the air handlers. The floor branches can easily be converted to injection style should the direct on/off method cause any issues. The plan for cooling is to hold the water between 45* and 60* for all stations and see how it goes with the condensation. If condensation becomes an issue in the area where the 45* water is introduced to the floor I'll revamp and go injection so I can control the floor water temp more closely. Yes, I went with Insultarp for various reasons including ease of install and durability before and after the pour. Bfore the pour it allows us to walk on it without damage to the system which is a plus given the tubes have been laid out for over a month now waiting for the town to OK the pour. They have but NOW we're waiting for higher temps. I presented both options to the owner and allowed him to choose. My Wirsbo/Uponor rep and I both agree all that is really required is a thermal break. I have use the product exclusively in the past and have had excellent results with it. All piping will be insulated.
  • Thanks Brad,

Yup, flex connectors and isolators are in there. The isolators are just above the framing of the picture. I used 45# ones as they felt nice and gushy. Unit weighs maybe 100#. The units (there is one for each building AH1 pic was too dark) are as far away from the recording areas as possiblle and I hope to run them on lowest speed but the duct is designed for highest speed. Adjusting amp draw might be tricky but I won't know that until they're running and I see what I have. Each trunk has a manual damper for now and I expect to use them to get the amps dialed in. The mounting boards for the pumps are also screwed to the wall with cork isolators in between so they float as well. Additionally I ran the HePEX/insulation up the board(s) and clamped it there to further dampen any vibration. The pumps too are as far away from the recording areas as possible. Trouble is I won't know anything until I fire it all up, then we'll see. ;)
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    Are you using any type of sound traps in your duct design, they

work very well and are worth it to prevent any future head/heart aches.
  • Yep!

The owner/sound engineer gave me drawings of baffled boxes that we will install in the trunks serving the recording areas. Nifty little jobbers actually. the air has to make an "S" turn to get from the inlet to the outlets. We're going to use them as mini plenums as well so we have, for example, a 5" round inlet and multiple 2" outlets with baffles between in and out connections. I'm DYING to see how this all works out. Looks like we may get our pour by the end of next week. Gave the electrician a tour today. ;)
This discussion has been closed.