Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Advice on vacuum receiver. . .

you can only pull a vacuum on a tight system -if you have bad traps it wont do much there is only so much it can overcome ---if the valves at the unit are closed and can only pull 8 inchs the pumps may be getting weak or they have a gasket that is too thick where the pump sits in the housing increasing the distance from the impeller to the volute,or the packing is leaking shipley unit,hoffman(domestic) or dunham bush?

Comments

• Keith_19
    Keith_19 Member Posts: 18
    Vacuum

Hey everyone. . . I just wired a vacuum receiver into an Heat Timer MPC Platinum the other day. Venturis now come on whenever boilers get call to fire. Prior to that they were flipped to "hand" 24/7. . . unless the super was trying to watch Maury in his office, in which case he would turn them off. Anyway, after finishing up I put the boiler through its paces and noticed that I was pulling a very poor vacuum - as in none at all. I replaced the guage and cleaned the relief valve, still 0" mercury. Super told me that a couple of traps were bad, so I shut down the isolation valve in the return pipe 4' from the receiver and immediately saw a nice vacuum start to form.

The problem was that the pumps would pull down to about 8" and keep running. They wouldn't pull anything below that. Now the vacuum switches are set to 8.5", and I'd like to see the pumps pull and hold a vacuum, switch off on vacuum, and attempt to maintain as traps open to release condensate. Any advice? Why do you think that they stop at 8" like that? Any advice is welcome.

Keith
This discussion has been closed.