Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

my furance keeps cutting off & its 55 degrees in my house

Jim Franklin
Jim Franklin Member Posts: 170
There are many checks and balances in a heating system to protect the occupants and the unit. Any one of these could be broken, or actually working and protecting something. You need a real serviceperson in there to diagnose the problem, not someone who blindly replaces things yet still charges you for them. The real serviceperson will likely be more expensive- diagnostic tools are not cheap. But in tend they will cost you a lot less than multiple visits by the swap & hope type.

Check Angie's List and Service Magic for recommendations if there is no one local to you in the Find a Pro link at the top of the Heating Help pages.

jim

Comments

• Lorne
    Lorne Member Posts: 1
    my furance keeps cutting off

Hello, I need help. I live in Chicago and the temp is 17 degrees. I've lived in my house for two years and each year there is either a problem with my furance or my A/C unit. Both are supposed to be new units. Currently, I am without heat. My furance starts then it cuts off. I had a service man come out and he replaced what I believe is the control switch. Less than an hour after he left the furnace cut-off again. I called to inform him and he believes the problem has to do with the duck for my return is not large enough for my unit. He believes its currently about 18 inchs and says it needs to be about 22 - 24 inchs. He called it a level 5 problem and wants to charge me about $550.00 to redo the return to the furnace and another $160.00 to replace the part that blew-out again. Is this the problem and will the work correct it?
    LG
  • Ross_7
    Ross_7 Member Posts: 577
    Call a different service company...

..and have someone else take a look at it. Maybe they can fix it right the first time.
  • Brad White_191
    Brad White_191 Member Posts: 252
    Something else

If it were the duct work, and it was that sub-standard, the issue would have been happening for years I would think. Might it be the problem? Sure it can, I cannot say from here. But my logical side says if too small it would be a day-one issue.

The difference between 18 and 22-24 inches is not so great in my experience but I would need to know the "other dimension". It is not like you had just an 8-inch round return and a series of 18x8 supply ducts after all.

Can you tell me the BTU rating of the furnace and the duct sizes in BOTH dimensions? If you go down there and see a duck, take pictures, please! :)

If this is an oil fired appliance, do NOT press the red reset button more than once.

I am suspecting an operating high limit or safety high limit. From here it is definitely time to get a pro in there that you trust. I have my doubts, from what you are telling me. I can only advise of course.

I have no idea what a "Level 5" problem is.
  • Jim Franklin
    Jim Franklin Member Posts: 170

Level 5 problem- it will take 5 fingers to hold the amount of cash they'll swindle from the unknowing homeowner.
  • John L
    John L Member Posts: 118
    No Heat

We in Chicago, call me @ 773 908 2225, I will do my best to help you today
    John
This discussion has been closed.