Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam question

Hi

My question is about the snap valves on my radiator. I had my plumber to my house multiple times. We had to repipe the furnace, slope the radiators, and install a new valve at the floor. I would like to know if there is a relief valve " snap valve" on the market that doesn't make much noise when it opens and closes. Mine wakes me up at night with a bang. This isn't water hammer, it's just in the valves.
My system is a one pipe system. My plumber has got the system as quiet as possible. Just wish we could stop those valves from banging. Thanks

Comments

• Broomell system

Had a no heat call yesterday on a 1976 burnham steam boiler(780000) in, attached to an old Broomell vapor system. Repaired the no heat call, bad pilot solenoid valve but have a few questions about this system.
    From what I can see in Dans books I have a understanding of its operation, the damper float assembly and chimney vent are gone and the burnham runs on a standard pressuretrol. It appears that when the boiler was replaced in 76 they just connected it like a standard steam system. Question is do the broomell vapor traps on the radiators need to be replaced with thermostatic traps? Are there any other things that need to be done?
  • Jim Pompetti
    Jim Pompetti Member Posts: 552
    Broomall traps

No need to replace them , no moving parts . There is a plug on the top of them ,with the system off ,open it and clean it with a small wire . The system needs to run wit a vapor stat ,set about 8ozs.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Gorton makes them

what you're referring to are "air vents". You probably have Hoffman vents, which can be rather loud when they open and close. Gortons have a different mechanical arrangement which works much more quietly.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    I'll second that

why add more moving parts? Just change the Pressuretrol to a Vaporstat, set it to cut off at no more than 8 ounces (less if you can get away with it), add a low-pressure gauge if you wish, make sure everything's vented properly and watch how well it works!

• There are F&T traps on the mains before

it drops into a reciever tank with a pump. These traps look as though they were added at a later date also. Should they be there?
  • When the boiler

needs to be replaced, can a multi boiler with staging be done on vapor and would it be advantages to do so? He is dropping alot of bread on fuel here.
This discussion has been closed.