Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

need help with circ pump - its cold in here

john_181
john_181 Member Posts: 93
I have a bell and gosset pump model HV circ pump on one of my boilers. Last night it starting acting up. When the pump is energized - it chatters and shahes and it will trip the internal breaker in about 1 min time. I opened the pump - all looked good and it runs well on the bench. I re-installed it again and it doe the same thing. The springs and all are OK it just will not work right - please help - its 45 in here BRRRRRRRR !!!!!! THANKS

Comments

• ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    b ang g pump

time to change it out could be the rubber end pieces on the pump are warn if its the type that uses a connector between pump and impeller
  • john_181

I have not removed the impeller form the body (did not want to lose all the water) I forgot to mention that the motor always ran hot before compared to my series 100 B&G unit.
  • So,

you only pulled the motor and rasn IT on the bench? If the flex coupling looks good it sounds like the pump bearing is shot. Grab the pump side shaft and wiggle it to see if there's any side to side play. If there is the bearing is NG. Either way, if the motor seems ok and the flex coupling is ok then there's nothing left to question but the pump side.
  • john_181

I did check the shaft - if is a good fit - no slop or bearing noise. When the pump chatters I notice alot of sparking in the rear of the motor. Seems like the pump motor cannot get the pump up to speed and it is in between start up mode and run mode.
  • john_181

I did check the shaft - if is a good fit - no slop or bearing noise. When the pump chatters I notice alot of sparking in the rear of the motor. Seems like the pump motor cannot get the pump up to speed and it is in between start up mode and run mode.
  • martin
    martin Member Posts: 144
    B&G Dance

I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago on a b&g coupled pump. The motor bearings were bad, would not manifest it till under load. Replaced motor and all was fine, then got new bearings for old motor.
This discussion has been closed.