Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pex class action suits

Paul Pollets
Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
The PEX failures were largely due to improper installation on high temp open systems. I've seen alot of these failures in Seattle, and most failures had one thing in common: attaching PEX or PAP to a water heater (or instantaneous HW heater) as the heat source in an open system. Many installations attached the PEX directly to the water tank, then turning the water heater thermostat to "high" because fan coil units were the heat emitters. We've never had any PEX failures on closed systems using a boiler as the heat source, and using copper "near-boiler" piping. PEX ain't going away....the system methods need to be changed and addressed by code.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=104&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Wayne_29
    Wayne_29 Member Posts: 50
    First Zurn then Uponor now Roth

It's looks like us copper people who were patient are right. heating yes, plumbing no!

The plumbing pex people will all be gone in ten years! Goodbye!
  • Jim_64
    Jim_64 Member Posts: 253
    Question?

Cal these class action suits are they all due to fitting or pipe failure ,and is this class action suit due to the de zincfaction as was the promblem with zurn in the south west i though the promblem was with the water chemestry and it's affects on the fittings? if the fittings are failing would not the hpde plastic fittings be the cure ? was any of these failures on pex al pex systems or on closed loop hydronic system fitting ?peace cammy
  • Ron Gillen
    Ron Gillen Member Posts: 124
    Galvanized pipe, Copper tube

Anyone who's been around a while has seen galvanized pipe rusted and rotted out, plugged up with deposits near fittings, but it was a pretty good material till copper tube came along. If you've done service work in older buildings you've seen bad copper joints, pin hole leaks from flux corrosion, erosion of elbows till they're worn right through, but it was pretty good material till pex came along. I have heard of the fitting problems that Clammy referred to (more bad water than bad material)but I have never heard of a pex tubing failure. A lot of R&D went into giving us better(home run system), quieter(no more moaning waterlines) plumbing systems. Why do so many people get excited when things go wrong. I knew that exchanger wouldn't last, tha pipe would fail, told ya so. Does it some how make them better than the folks whose life's work is to design products to advances our industry? I don't get it. Oh ya, I'm sure pex is her to stay whatever set backs there may be.
  • cmannering_2
    cmannering_2 Member Posts: 11
    Is there a Roth class action

Saw today's post regarding Roth PEX. Is there a new class action?
  • Brian Coyne
    Brian Coyne Member Posts: 5

I am Brian Coyne, Vice President of Roth Industries. There are no class action suits or failures on Roth PEX. Roth is what it has always been; a high quality German manufacturer owned by the Roth family. Quality is all they pay attention to.

I had seen the post about Roth in another thread and tried to reach the poster but the email address was fictitious. Please be assured that Roth is highest quality electronically cross linked PEX and PAP without failures. Not sure where this untruth started.

• Home Depot Employee
    Home Depot Employee Member Posts: 329

Right on Brian!

False rumors with a objective perhaps???
  • Rick_89
    Rick_89 Member Posts: 15
    Facts!

[edit] PEX-C (PE-Xc, PEXc)
    PEX-C is produced through electron beam processing, in a "cold" cross-linking process (below the crystal melting temperature). It provides less uniform, lower-degree cross-linking than the Engel method, especially at tube diameters over one inch (2.5 cm), and when the process is not controlled properly, the outer layer of the tubes may become brittle. However, it is the cleanest, most environmentally friendly method of the three, since it does not involve other chemicals and uses only high-energy electrons to split the carbon-hydrogen bonds and facilitate cross-linking.

This discussion has been closed.