Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PAP Fitting Compatibility?

hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,833
Any pex fitting will fit into Fosta Pex as it is regular pex with an additional jacket. You merely strip away the al jacket to use the ring. Best to use the Viega fitting and crimp ring as they are very nice quality. I've used generic fittings on test manifolds, etc. with FostaPex.

As I recall Mr Pex, Watts Radiant, AquaTherm and a few others all use Rifling (sp) pex al pex. I suspect the fittings are all from the same source.

PAP fittings really need to be the o-ring type. I believe Watts Radiant offers both compression and crimp fittings for PAP. Their crimp fitting is a double o-ring.

hr
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• Andrew Hagen_4
    Andrew Hagen_4 Member Posts: 44
    Fitting Compatibility?

i think I have seen this discussed before, but I can't find it. Are Viega's Fostapex press fittings compatible with Mr Pex PAP?

What fitting system works best with Mr Pex PAP?
  • bb_10
    bb_10 Member Posts: 29
    Print line

Andrew:

Check the print line on the pipe. It will tell you which fittings are approved for use with the pipe.

The Viega Fosta-PEX is only approved for use w/ F877 fittings.

bb

• F876/877 is a pretty wide spec.

Not *all* fittings with that designation play happy with each other.

Be sure to use the reamer from the manufacturer of the fitting, not the manufacturer of the PAP.
  • Wayne_29
    Wayne_29 Member Posts: 50
    Roth Pex Delamination

I heard at my supply house that Roth is the next pex manufacturer to have a problem. Salesguy said the pex-al-pex can peel away inside clogging up components. Said it was called delamination. Several Pex people have had problems this year. Zurn fittings have a class action suit. Who's next?
  • Wayne_29
    Roth Pex Delamination

I heard at my supply house that Roth is the next pex manufacturer to have a problem. Salesguy said the pex-al-pex can peel away inside clogging up components. Said it was called delamination. Several Pex people have had problems this year. Zurn fittings have a class action suit. Who's next?
  • Andrew Hagen_4
    Andrew Hagen_4 Member Posts: 44
    Thanks

Thanks for the info!
  • Wayne_29
    I heard about ROTH PEX too

the plumbing pex business is in trouble. first Zurn, then Uponor and now Roth
  • Brian Coyne
    Brian Coyne Member Posts: 5
    Roth Pex Delamination

Please rest assured that our product has no problems as some of our competitors. Part of the problem with delamination is when you do not isolate the aluminum from either brass or copper. With all of our approved fittings (European press) we use a plastic isolator. Another issue is aggressive water, although it doesn't affect heating systems as it does in potable water systems. Our product is ONLY for heating applications and if you were so kind to let me know who is spreading these false statements, I would like to set the record straight.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to discuss this any further.
  • Brian Coyne
    Brian Coyne Member Posts: 5
    Delamination

We at Roth do not have a problem.
  • stephen Kelly
    stephen Kelly Member Posts: 1
    Roth PAP pipe

I am the technical manager for Roth Industries. If you are experiencing problems then please contact me. We have had no issue with are PAP products..
  • Wayne_29
    Pex-C is Garbage

Bottom of the food chain plain and simple. We used to put that in. It's stiff and brittle once it's kinked you will be throwing it all away. Uses insert crimp fittings that restrict flow, easy to kink and will leak sometimes just like Zurn fittings.

We switched to wirsbo and have never had a problem! Pex-A is better and easier to work with! No matter what Pex-B and Pex-C companies tell you!

PEX-C Roth and others

PEX-C is produced through electron beam processing, in a "cold" cross-linking process (below the crystal melting temperature). It provides less uniform, lower-degree cross-linking than the Engel method, especially at tube diameters over one inch (2.5 cm), and when the process is not controlled properly, the outer layers can become brittle. Not as flexible as PEX-A, kinks can only be repaired with repair couplings. Crimp style fittings restricts flow.
  • Wayne_29
    AMEN!

Pex-C is garbage and so is the crimp ring
  • hotwater1
    hotwater1 Member Posts: 2

Pappy,
    If Roth really had a delamination issue with their PAP pipe, wouldn't it have been reported to Roth?
    There have been a couple of shake-ups in the industry recently such as Ipex (Warmrite) pulling completely out of the North American market and Rehau pulling their EverLoc fitting system for plumbing use. These shake-ups tend to start wild, unsubstantiated rumors in the industry. We have all been in it long enough to know that. I know for a FACT that there is no issue with the Roth PAP pipe.
  • hotwater1
    hotwater1 Member Posts: 2
    PEX-c garbage?

Why is PEX-c the dominant pex in Europe then?
    We are always clamoring and complaining that we are "so far behind the Europeans in hydronics technologies", but it is here so start using it!
    In all actuality, the PEX-c is the most uniform way to cross link the PEX. Think about it. With Engle method you mix the peroxide at the extruder. What if it doesn't mix all of the way through? There are a lot of steps that have to be made perfectly every time (with human intervention) to make Engle PEX-a.
    PEX-b is just nasty garbage.
    PEX-c, on the other hand, is a 1 step extrusion followed by "tanning" (crosslinking)the PEX. The tanning is fully computer controlled with time under the beam, beam strength, and angle. It is ALWAYS the same degree of crosslinking throughout the length, diameter, and wall of the pipe. That combined with the aspect of having used no chemicals in the crosslinking process makes it the "greenest" PEX out there. These are just 2 reasons why the PEX-c is king in Europe!
    Oh yeah, if you kink Roth's PEX-c, you just repair it with a heat gun! Heat up the kinked area until PEX turns clear.
    I do agree with the copper crimp rings though. They have absolutely no place in radiant heating!
This discussion has been closed.