Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Solar DHW in January-PGP

Paul Pollets
Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
We started installing the solar DHW panels yesterday at a project over on Bainbridge Island. The 120 tube array uses Viessmann Vitosol 300 tubes in 4 arrays and a Viessmann DN21 pump module and Vitosolic 200 controller. By the end of the day, 2 arrays were mounted and we're stubbed out on the roof in 1" type L copper. Note the special S-5! clamps holding the unistrut to the ribbed metal roofing. (Thank you Rob Waters!) The pipe clamps are Mupro.

We'll finish the rest of the array next week and start the thermal tank piping. Sorry you guys back east and midwest are so cold!!

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=104&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Mike C._4
    Mike C._4 Member Posts: 56
    Don't feel too sorry for us

I have a 105 tubes out of 120 up and running right now in northern Maine. Below zero this morning. By mid morning with bright sun the system was cranking out hot water. At 1:00 the 120gal tank was 140+ deg F.

Nice looking install. I may have to use a few of those ideas you have thank you very much.

BTW-What size is the tank your installing?

Mike
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    Thermal storage

The tank is a 325g ASME glass-lined tank. We had to get a state permit variance to allow close clearances in the room. A Flat plate HX will do the tranfer from the pump module. A 100g commercial propane gas-fired water heater will provide backup and additional storage. I'll post those pics when we get there...

The buiding heats with a Vitodens 6/24.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ron Huber_2
    Ron Huber_2 Member Posts: 127
    Mike C

What brand tubes are you using up there in Maine and how big is your tank?
  • rene_4
    rene_4 Member Posts: 27

I'm using two 25 tube collectors by Silicon. At 9:00 this morning my 80 gallon tank was around 108 degrees and by 2:00 PM it was 145 degrees. The outdoor temp here in southern NH was around 0 degrees all day. My system is working great.

Rene
  • Mike C._4
    Mike C._4 Member Posts: 56
    solar dhw

I am using 105 tubes right now made by Sunmaxx I installed myself. I have to move a satellite dish before I install 15 more. You never hear that one on solar installs. I just plugged the empty holes off. We have had good clear sun the past week or so. I heat a 120 g tank and a 40 gallon tank to 140 and higher easily. I think they were at about 94 deg to start. In the early am it was -12 out. By 9:30 or so the tubes were cranking out heat. After 1:00 pm I was using hot water to keep the tank temps down. I do have radiant floor tubes to hook up and will possibly expand to a 180 tube system. I am envious of that 325g tank. It should be just right.
This discussion has been closed.