Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bakery Steam

We have a bakery that needs a new gas fired steamer for their ovens. The last on was a Cast Iron unit. Since it is an open system it only lasted 10 years. Anyone know of a stainless model for this purpose? When I was in the restaurant business i worked for a place that had a large bakery and the steam unit was stainless but they used it for baking and for steam kettles. It was much larger than I need for this job. Any help?

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    bakery steamer

maybe you could still use the cast iron boiler-just run the water through a reverse osmosis filter to remove the minerals and oxygen.--nbc
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    See: \"Billy and The Baker\"

Under "Hot Tech Topics"

I would not use reverse-osmosis because it may make the make-up water too "aggressive" for the steam boiler. I'm not sure humans should drink R-O water either, for it may "strip" needed minerals from our precious bodily fluids. I could be wrong, though.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Andy Morgan_2
    Andy Morgan_2 Member Posts: 147
    Boiler

There are special "process steam boilers" just for this purpose. I believe either New Yorker or maybe Columbia made one. Its been a while since I worked on one. We used to maintain the equipment in a commercial bakery.

Andy Morgan
    Riverside Mechanical, LLC
  • Erich_3
    Erich_3 Member Posts: 135
    Reimers Steam Products

Reimers is a company that has been in business since 1908 and among their specialties is steam for bakeries. Remember that steam for food products has to be extremely pure. (Think stainless steel). Look here:

http://www.reimersinc.com/app_2.htm
  • Shawn Woodrow
    Shawn Woodrow Member Posts: 10
    Follow up

I just went to Dan's Dead Mans school last night in PA. He recommended still using the Cast Iron but running the feed water through a 30 gal water heater set as high as it will go then a Micro bubble air separator Like Spiro vent. As long as we properly clean the boiler and skim it I can see how what he says will certanly increase life expectancy of the boiler. It may shorten the life of the feeder but hey thats I whole lot less expensive.
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998

What size of boiler is it? What type of ovens are used? We use a lot of Bryan Steam flexible tube boilers in bakeries and the food industry. We use a steam injector in the condensate tank to remove as much oxygen as possible to reduce the amount of chemicals in the water treatment. A good softner is a must!

We use a steam seperator and then a .5 micron s/s filter for pasturisation.For the bakeries we use a 1 micron filter at the oven.

Stay away from c.i. boilers unless you want to replace sections whenever there is some colder water going in.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Did you also read

"Billy and the Baker" under "Hot Tech Topics" elsewhere on this website?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.