Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ph testing

Eric_46
Eric_46 Member Posts: 2
Hi guys, can pool test strips be used to accurately to test boiler water ph, and what should the ph be?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,833

was the system filled with tap water? Any cleaners or treatment added? If not the boiler water should be close to the fill water ph.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Eric_46
    Eric_46 Member Posts: 2
    ph

Yes it was filled with tap water, no additives, but the question is will ph testers desighned for pool use give an accurate reading.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,833
    Is the water clear?

The pool testers I am familiar with use a color bar to show ph. If the water comes out of the boiler with some color, I'm not sure that type of tester would work.

PH "stick" electronic type meters are inexpensive and accurate. I think that might be a better choice.

If it's a one time test, and you don't want to buy a stick meter, take a sample to any water treatment company. They have good quality meters for accurate testing.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • I`ve used

pool kits, but only when the sample is clear. If not hr`s solution makes good sense.

Dave
  • Ted Robinson
    Ted Robinson Member Posts: 126
    PH Testing

For a steam system - - - -
    First I bought an inexpensive pool water test kit. The problem was that it is for a narrow range of PH at around 7.0.

From EBay ( or others) I bought a $5.00 set of PH test papers that coarsely cover 1 - 14 range, in whole steps. Since my goal is between 7.0 and 9.0, according to Burnham.

From the local Stop & Shop, I bought a box of Arm & Hammer washing soda. Maybe a teaspoon of powder dissolved in water is enough to raise the 7.0 tap water to between 8 & 9.

There are probably much more expensive ways to tweek the PH, but this one box is going to last me 50 years, or more, at the dosage I used!
    LionA29
This discussion has been closed.