Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pilot won't stay lit! HELP!

Jeff_133
Jeff_133 Member Posts: 36
Hi all. I've got an urgent situation. I have a one-pipe steam system, with a Dunkirk boiler. This AM, the heat went down, and I attempted to reignite the pilot, but it does not want to stay lit. See attached pic of pilot unit. In pilot position , the knob requires me to push to start the flow of gas. I get gas, and am able to light the pilot, but when I attempt to release and turn the switch to "on", he flow of gas stops. I've tried different length of times holding the pilot feed, with the flue open/closed, power on/power off, and i get the same result. questions: is the pilot sending unit bad? (see attached pic of unit) and 2) is there anything i can do today to get the pilot to stay lit until I can get my service tech on premise? My house has apartments with tenants, and we all share the same heating system. Temp out side is cold!!

Comments

• Jeff_133
    understood...

i figure it's either the valve of the thermocouple. Luckily, my service tech just called me and is on his way over. Thanks for the quick response!
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    That is the simplest pilot system on earth, almost 99.9 % of the

time it is dirty pilot and replace thermocouple while at it. Simple fix. I also noticed some water on floor right below boiler edge, is there a leak on the boiler?? Does not look that good with the little we can see?
  • Jeff_133
    yes, the boiler is leaky

i am hoping it will make it through the season, as i want to address possible near boiler piping and other issues when the boiler is likely to be replaced. Here are a couple pics of the unit - Dunkirk 225,000 BTU.
  • Jeff_133
    it was a

bad thermocouple. replaced and back up and running. lucky it wasn't the valve. thanks for the replies.
  • robyn
    robyn Member Posts: 1
    help

I have a Dunkirk boiler electric start , it keep going out it will only stay on for 10 to 20 min,

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Pilot problems

You probably need a tech to look at the pilot light assembly, and it and the thermocouple may need cleaning or changing out. Friday is always the time for these problems to pop up.

Have you had a general boiler service lately?--NBC