Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Many thanks...

LOL..Buffalo is worse in winter being stuck between two lakes!

I always remember the old joke: "If I had two brothers, one in jail and one in Buffalo, I'd get the one out of Buffalo first! "

Comments

• SteamedInOhio
    SteamedInOhio Member Posts: 5
    Many thanks...

Many thanks…

Last night was the coldest it has been in these parts in many years (-10 F) and I was toasty warm.

My one-pipe steam system isn’t perfect but with the help of the resources found on this website including Dan’s books and the posts on this discussion board… it is worlds better than when I first moved in.

Someday soon I will have to decide between replacing my aging steam system (35 yr. old boiler, questionable near boiler piping, asbestos insulation, etc.) or going with some form Central Heat and Air (Mini duct?).

I dread that day… but at least, with the help of this website, I can hope to make a more informed decision.

Anyway just a post to say thanks…. Keep up the good work. You guys are the best! ... I'll go back to lurking now.

• Mark Custis
    Mark Custis Member Posts: 537
    It is aways

cold in winter in Cleveland.
  • ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 960
    You'd regret it. And you know how to do a new boiler right.

All the knowledge you've accumulated puts you in a great position to see that a new boiler is sized right and installed properly. That steam system will have a new lease on life.

I have forced air and am determined to install steam heat when major redecorating time comes around. Why on earth would you want to get rid of a high mass high radiant system you already own? A system like yours has long been prohibitively expensive to install which is why we should respect the ones already out there.

Air conditioning could be installed in the form of a high velocity system like Space-Pak. this way you have each system optimized for their respective functions. Combination heat/cool is always a compromise. You are half way to the best of both worlds!

Frigitude:

BTW, I woke up to my first no-heat/lousy heat call to a temp of -13. Yep. Cleveland certainly can get cold. But not as cold as those up in the Great White North.

-Terry

Terry T

steam; proportioned minitube; trapless; jet pump return; vac vent. New Yorker CGS30C

This discussion has been closed.