Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Boiler Install w/pics

Dan C.
Dan C. Member Posts: 248
How was it getting the plug out for the skim tapping. It's a 50/50 chance it will come out with a wrench. I did one Saturday that I had to chisel the plug out. something that could easily be resolved at the factory but for some reason they would rather make extra work for us.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=329&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    New Boiler install w/pics

Hey guy's, just finished this boiler install for my brother back in Sept, was over last night to skim/clean. Installed some new end-of-main vents and some radiator vents as well, system runs clean and quiet. Next time I will build a drop header... Comments welcome..Thanks guys
  • jackie_5
    jackie_5 Member Posts: 5

i like the skim port on the right hand side. what model is this boiler? i have a IN5 but no skim port.
    skimming was done through pressure relief valve or pressuretrol port.
    Rookie question if you dont mind, i see you have a on/off valve at the skim port.
    u still need to put on the manual water feed and open this valve on the tapping to skim correct?

if so, you only open both valve a tad bit correct as i learned on this forum, skimming is best done drop by drop.

thanks!!
  • MikeyB
    skim port

The removal of that plug was a job in itself, I made the mistake of trying to remove the plug after I piped the boiler in, I had to remove the sections of the jacket to get the 1" plug out. Burnham should really look into not driving these plugs home , It would make it easier for us to remove it. The model is an IN4, with the skimming I have done it a couple of different ways, Slowly feed water (manualy) as I skim (from the port), fire it for a while (before steaming) and continue to skim. The skim port is a plus, I wish they could make it a little larger ,maybe a 1 1/4 " port would be nice as well. Overall a great cast iron boiler..
  • nice job

Nice job on the installation.. Weil Mclain boiler are 1 1/2 inch for skimming
  • alang
    alang Member Posts: 35

im jealous. I want that skim port.

Thanks for the insight mikey. I will see if the IN5 has this skim port.
  • MikeyB
    skimmer

Hey Frank, I just checked the Burnham installl book, that skim port should be on the IN5 as well, Upper right hand side 1" pipe tapping "L"... "Factory plugged surface blow-off"
  • alang

NICE MIKEY. Thanks.
    I assume i have to take out the right side of the boiler to see it?
    Sorry dumb question again, is the housing easily removed? i know the front one can be snapped off, but the right side, do i need to do intensive unscrewing? meaning do i have to take out the entire case?

right now on the right side, theres only one tapping and that opening is for relief valve.
  • MikeyB
    skim

Frank, you will have to unscrew the right hand panel from the top and front jacket, just a few pan head screws, should be fairly easy, it might be easier to get take the relief valve off, as Dan had mentioned that plug might give you a hard time getting out, it took me a while to remove it as well, use a flat jaw wrench with a cheater and you should be ok, there are a couple of other tappings on that side including tappings for an indirect return connection and a limit, these tappings are lower than the skim port, check out page 6 in the Burnham manual, it shows each side of the boiler
  • alang

Thanks MIKEY!
  • MikeyB
    skim

No problem Frank, let me know how you make out. Another thing you try is get a candle and while the boiler is hot (steaming) push the candle into the 1" plug (for the skim port) let the heat suck the candle in, then try to unscrew the plug, if it "breaks" for you shut the steam down and unscrew the plug. I have used this trade trick many a time on low & high pressure steam jobs. Just try not to push the candle in too much where the wax sinks into the boiler water, just enough to lubricate the plug...
  • Anne_5
    Anne_5 Member Posts: 27
    I have one of those heaters.........

Nice job, Mikey. I have the same unit, IN-4 and is giving me a bit of trouble. Mine doesn't look piped up like yours is! I wonder if it's possible your brother could have the manual copied and send to me? I bought a house with this system installed, and the previous owner did not leave the manual. :(

I've been told my unit needs to be re-piped, and I want picture proof. After all, I don't have a brother in the business. ;) Thanks a million! I called the company and they only have a generic manual left, not specific to the IN-4, and I cannot seem to find it online anywhere.
    It's supposed to knock. It's steam.
  • MikeyB
    IN-4

Hey Anne, I attactched the manual, you can always check out their website for any other info as well,,, Anne try taking some pics of your IN-4 and the guys here will be able to help you out
  • MikeyB
    boiler

Thanks rjbphd, an 1.5" skim port would be nice on the Burnham...
  • Anne_6
    Anne_6 Member Posts: 37
    Pics

Here are some pics of my Burnham.

I have some questions too. My furnace comes on when the temperature drops to the setting, say I set it at 54; it will drop to 54 then kick on and stay on until it is between 58-60. Do I need a different thermostat? Currently I have the Honeywell round mercury dial. Gas bills are high, I am using 8.9 ccf a day; my bills are higher than folks I know who have forced air and have their furnaces set at 65 or so. I do expect it to be a bit higher (was told the steam is not as efficient as forced air), but I didn't expect it to be so gas-hoggy. At 56-60, depending on the temperature outside it is very cozy in here and I did not expect my gas bills to be so high because the setting is so low.

If it needs repiping, will having it repiped help to save money in heating bills? I was told that it would.

Furnace is not connected to the hot water heater, they are separate.

Sorry the pics are sideways, I cannot fix them for some reason. Maybe the browser I'm using isn't letting me.

If I do need a new thermostat, what is recommended for this type of heating system?

Thank you very much!

http://photobucket.com/leopardlady

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Anne_6
    repost of pics

Maybe this is better than having to copy and paste the link in your browser. :D

One more thing--my water level gets too high and every day I have to drain it, even though I have the water spicket barely on. I'm concerned that if I turn it completely off, the water level will go down too much and boom.

Thanks!

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357

Anne water is to be turned off once it is filled to about halfway up site glass!!!!!. Please contact a pro maybe even search the list on this site. Where are you located
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Anne_6

I live in lower MI. No one ever told me to shut the water off completely. There is an autofeed thing installed on the Burnham; take a look at the pics. Someone engineered their own autofeed, I think it was pretty ingenious though it is not working right anymore. I had to have the big black thing with the yellow handle replaced; after they did that, the water level will keep going up. It used to stay pretty level and just fill when needed before that thing was replaced. Thanks for the tip! Much appreciated. I will go down and shut off the spicket.

• Anne_6
    ty, Mikey B!

Thanks for uploading the manual and for sending it to my email.

• Anne,

Anne, you will need to put this in seprated thread. I looked at the pictures which was very helpful. Just about everything relating to near boiler pipings is wrong. You will need to get a real steam boiler pro to correct this. In meantime, get the " the steamy deal" books from this site. After study those books, you will know more than the installer that did your boiler. ( not furance)
  • Kool Rod
    Kool Rod Member Posts: 175

Hi Anne- I agree with what rjbphd says. Whoever did you near boiler piping didn't have a clue as to what they were doing. It's unfortunate that a lot of heating professionals / plumbers aren't competent on steam systems.

What you need is a good steam pro. Go up to "Resources" at the top of this page and look under "Fine a Professional" and see if someone there is near`you. You might also let us know what city you're located in and maybe one of the steam pros on this board might know someone competent near you who can help you.

I would also get Dan's books on steam heating (See "A Steamy Deal" at the bottom of this page) Read "We Got Steam Heat" first and then "The Lost Art of Steam Heating" second. They are easy reading, crammed full of facts and explanations and written so the homeowner can understand them. After an evening or two of reading, you'll know all about your steam system. You'll know what all the components do and how they are expected to operate. The books will give you the knowledge so you should be able to understand what exactly is wrong with your system. I consider these books a must for any homeowner with steam heating. Mine have paid for themselves many times over.
    Steam heating really is a very simple system and is easy to understand and maintain. It's just that you have to know and understand a few simple rules.

As was suggested I'd post a new separate thread with the title something like: " Boiler Piping Problems" as that should attract the most help. Also repost your boiler pictures. Here your post is rather "buried" and therefore a lot of people won't see it.

Your problems are quite easily fixed and that will result your system being a lot more efficient.

- Rod
  • Anne_6
    ty

Thanks, RJ and Rod. I have created a separate thread as suggested. http://forums.invision.net/Thread.cfm?CFApp=2&Thread_ID=62811&mc=1

It is under the wall, boiler piping problems Burnham IN-4 is the subject.

This discussion has been closed.