Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pressuretrol settings

j grant
j grant Member Posts: 1
I keep reading that in a low pressure steam system 1 1/2 pound differential between low cut off and high cut off is optimal. There are two pressuretrols on my Crown boilers set at 8 and 10 pounds. The 16 unit apartment bldg heats unevenly. Seems to me that these should be set for 1/2 pound and 3 pounds. What am I missing

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    2 pressuretrols

i think one of those pressuretrols is a high-limit with reset button. if so set that at 3psi to save your main vents from early failure. the other one must be the actual control, so set it as low as it will go-ideally under 12 oz,[ you may need a vaporstat, and a good, low-pressure gauge, 0-3 psi]. i see you may have more than one boiler in which case, the pressuretrols are for staging the boilers for maximum comfort and economy, so perhaps you should consult a real steam pro, before any more money goes up the chimney!!

check your main vents, as they are probably all paperweights with all that over-pressurization. when you replace them get many, and big-gortons. without adequate venting, you are burning extra fuel to squeeze the air out of the few vents still working.

while he is there, check your thermostat for proper location and anticipation. try to find someone other than the person, who set the pressure so high, to do any further work.--nbc
This discussion has been closed.