Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

tar paper before overpour

greenhead_2
greenhead_2 Member Posts: 13
do I need anything on the wood floor before an 11/2 of concrete?

Comments

• Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Not tar paper

Problems with odors may occur down the road. If the floor is above a finished space or basement, off the cuff I would say the wood should be covered with a plastic sheet of some kind to prevent water/cement from running through. I've never been involved in an application like that so I haven't had the opportunity to do any research on it. Someone on here may have or you could call RPA or see if you could get in touch with Siggy.
  • Chas_9
    Chas_9 Member Posts: 6
    Concrete on Wood

I lived in a house with a mudded bathroom floor over 125 years old. The wood underneath the concrete was in pristeen condition. There was nothing over it except for some metal lath. My guess is that the concrete seals the air out and thus any chance of rot.
  • mike parnell
    mike parnell Member Posts: 42
    overpour

do hot use tar paper,ive done afew of these on jobs and in my own house, i used a reflective product on a few floors, alum foil on other floors,the last floor i did i painted the plywood with aluminum paint,i figured any thing to help reflect the heat upwards.
    just the other day my son an i finally insulated under the kitchen floor,the one painted ,almost instantly the house got 10 degrees warmer,had been 60 all day,we got done and came upstairs big difference.
    So now i need to go get more insulation for the other rooms,see bpost under concrete...............mike in hopkinton
  • Andy_17
    Andy_17 Member Posts: 30
    tar paper

we have done many jobs like this, you need some type of vapor barrier to prevent the plywood from soaking moisture from the concrete while it curing or you wind up w/ cracks. you can use tar paper,( I've never had problems w/ any odors) but it I find it easier to use 6 mill poly, you can easily find rolls up to 20' wide & 100' long. easy to cover just about an size room
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,833
    keep the wood from soaking

the water of convenience out of the concrete. 6 mil plastic works, a bit slippery to work on. Asphalt felt paper should also work if the temperatures are under 140F.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.