Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

the real color of warm

Then you know the town of Two Harbours, ( Moose club, there have the best bloody mary with beer chaser)Spilt Rock Lighthouse and Silver Bay... I spent time at cabin in Isabella area.

Comments

• Boston_2
    Boston_2 Member Posts: 107
    Silver

So, this maybe a novice question, but after reading Dan's book for a second time, I noticed a section on whether or not to color of a radiator will make a difference in how the radiator performs. If I understand the book correctly (which may not be the case), A silver, bronze or gold color will decrease the radiant efficacy of my radiator by 20%. It also appears that the radiant factor makes up 40% of the total heating ability of the radiator.

Currently all of my radiators are painted silver, could I really increase the radiant efficacy of my radiator by 20% by simply painting them another color? If this is something I decide to do will this be a noticeable difference? Does it matter what color I paint them (i.e. black).
  • Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    Blackbody Emitters

Technically and in theory, flat jet black is the best emitter color for a radiator, but as I once pointed out some years ago, absent having a Goth-leaning daughter, no one will be particularly impressed.

Terra Cotta color actually increases the output a few percentage points; I learned that from Dan to some surprise. There goes that Blackbody theory. Herschel is rolling in his grave.

But in short, any good oil based paint of any non-metallic color, will suffice.

The attached is a steam radiator under warm-up cycle, which I took this past weekend. I wish that I could paint the radiator like this. I had just installed a TRV on the radiator and was letting it go to work.

The radiator indeed was painted with silver/aluminum paint. Steam piping nearby, painted with oil enamel, did register a full 212 degrees on the surface, as a point of comparison. This particular radiator did not make 190F.

Probably does not address your question but I thought you might like it. I found it interesting.
  • ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 960
    OOOHHHHH

What a lovely picture! And I live with forced air :-(((( Why do you think I work on steam heat all winter? I can go somewhere else and then cuddle up to a nice steam radiator when I'm done. ...its lead to a few awkward moments with homeowners, tho. ;)

Seriously, go ahead and paint one radiator with a good non-metallic finish and compare the subjective radiant output of each. Stand several feet away, perhaps with your back facing the radiator. I guarantee you'll feel quite a difference. Its a nice difference indeed.

Radiators used to come dipped silver. IMO it wasn't because they were supposed to be silver, but just to have the radiant heat off the back of the radiator reduced where it was installed against an outside wall. Why send that heat out through an uninsulated wall? It was fully expected that the homeowner would paint the visible surfaces with a suitable color for the room, from what I can tell.

-Terry

Terry T

steam; proportioned minitube; trapless; jet pump return; vac vent. New Yorker CGS30C

• Boston_2
    Boston_2 Member Posts: 107

Thanks Brad,

One of these days, maybe if you have a little extra time, would you mind giving me a few pointers on my heating system… I am right on the North Shore. I think you are in Boston right?
    I am trying to squeak every percentage point out of my heating system. I noticed that this little radiator in my bathroom (painted white) felt like it was putting out more heat then my larger silver radiator in the next room. After some research I found that blurb in Dan's book.

If I painted anything in my house the color of that radiator, my wife would have my head.

So for my own edification do you think it's worth wile repainting my radiators a non metallic color? Or will the difference be negligible?
  • North Shore?

North Shore of Minnesota? Along north shore of Lk Superior..
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    Beautiful area

I was born and raised on the south shores of lake Superior (Ashland, WI) I spent a good deal of time working and playing on the north shore. I especially enjoy Thunder Bay Ontario.
  • Brad White_191
    Brad White_191 Member Posts: 252
    Mark

Yes, I am in Auburndale. I recall Swampscott for you? A bit out of my range "normally" but may make an exception. Time is a bit tight but we can see.

As you noticed, even white paint will emit about the same as other colors. The last coat does all of the work anyway, so yes, paint them.

Oddly, the metallic paints, according to lore handed down by Dan, was a response to the over-sized radiators following the Great Influenza. Radiators from about 1920 to 1925 (our house was built in 1922), had very large radiators to heat with the windows open somewhat.

By the 1930's, people came to their senses, closed the windows, then overheated a bit. Metallic paints and covers were part of the solution.
This discussion has been closed.