Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Should I hear any hissing at all from my vents??

I don't think anything is faster than the heat timer valve. You could try installing a Tee and putting 2 on. But I'd only do that if the radiator as trouble getting hot at the same time the others do.

Comments

• Jason_44
    Jason_44 Member Posts: 60

If you believe Dan's book "Lost Art," one-pipe steam radiators should be just as quiet as hot water radiators.

The steam is nice and dry (thanks to a total re-pipe) and I've vented my main as much as I dare (two Gorton #2's), and it has made a tremendous difference in how quiet most of the radiators are now.

That said, there are still a couple of radiators that continue to hiss quite loudly. The vents are brand new Vent-Rite's. All the vents on the radiators are the same size (have the same size hole in the top).

Should I truly expect not to hear any hissing at all? If so, how do I achieve this? Do I just keep installing larger vents on those radiators until all hissing disappears?
  • Paul Fredricks_9
    Paul Fredricks_9 Member Posts: 315

Just me thinking out loud, but the only way for them to all be quite is if they all got steam at the same time. It would seem to me that if 75% of the rads have steam and the vents stop venting, the others would have a bit more pressure to deal with.

That said, maybe you need less pressure on the system. Can you lower it down any?

Just me thinking out loud. I may be off base here.
  • Jason_44
    Jason_44 Member Posts: 60

Pressuretrol cut-in is set to lowest setting (1/2psi I think). Differential is set to 1.

JW
  • scrook_2
    scrook_2 Member Posts: 610
    try bigger rad vents?

So if the P-trol markings are accurate then you're running at 1/2 to 1 1/2 psi. If they're not, you could be a bit higher cut-out and/or cut-in.

Also if it's only a couple late heating and/or large radiators you might try a faster vents on them, (e.g. Gorton C's or D's) so they heat at the same rate as the others.
  • alang
    alang Member Posts: 35

Are Gordon C's and D's faster than heat timer's varivalve when fully opened?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.