Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

carlin oil burner

Randy_30
Randy_30 Member Posts: 28
This is a wild guess but have you checked to see if you have water in your tank?

Comments

• HAPLUMBER
    HAPLUMBER Member Posts: 14
    carlin oil burner

hi guys just a quick question, i have a carlin ez 1 oil burner and it goes off on saftey every 2 days or so. it get irreguaor some times, ive changed the transformer nozzle, the probes and the saftey switch. i do find that sometimes it pops sometimes. any answers?... did i miss something?
  • HAPLUMBER
    HAPLUMBER Member Posts: 14

yes it was checked last friday and no water i feel it is in the burner itself
  • Randy_30
    Randy_30 Member Posts: 28

I haven't played with oil in years but I would change the nozzle again. Could be a defective nozzle. That's a cheap test. Then dig deeper
  • burnerman_2
    burnerman_2 Member Posts: 297
    ohms cad cell

This is a overlooked item on a lot of service calls. Put your meter on the leads from the cad cell it must be below 1500 and stay there. If you have a ring of carbon or any kind of obsticale (you know what I mean) you can get a bad reading. Yes you can get a nozzle that was dropped or poorly handled but the mfg. takes a lot of precautions in making a quilty product. I bet there are 100's of good nozzle's pitched everyday due to false assumtions. My 2 cents.
  • Erich_3
    Erich_3 Member Posts: 135
    Electrode Gaps

Have you set the electrode gaps exactly to specifications? What size and make nozzle are you using and what make and model is it installed in?
  • Paul Fredricks_9
    Paul Fredricks_9 Member Posts: 315

Did you use a combustion analyzer to see if the burner is adjusted properly? Check air setting? Pump pressure? Cad cell reading?
  • Carlin

"Safety switch"??? on the burner motor? Could be a burner motor-run an ohms test through the motor leads-over 5.5 ohms=replace. Carlin ignitors with date code 10193 are bad, Carlin primarys had a problem a few years back.
  • walnuts
    walnuts Member Posts: 21

at resetting calls check; eye, motor, pump, ignitor, oil flow from jet line into a pail, head and electrode settings with a carlin ez gauge(small yellow plastic), air settings(start with manufacturers recommendation which is in the equipment info)and always a combustion test. if all tests pass there is a diagnostic tool called an "on-watch" which when temporarily installed monitors the burner through every cycle volts,pump press, ohm reading, etc.
  • Frank_65
    Frank_65 Member Posts: 3
    Carlin burner 99FRD motor

My motor(1/7 hp, 3450 rpm westinghouse) stopped last week for thermal overload. I resetted button today but it overloaded again. Please let me know the steps to remove motor from burner. Should i start from fuel pump side? Fins in the blower can be turned freely but it's dusty. Do i have to replace motor?
    Thanks for your help. It is very cold.
  • motor

Hey Joe, sounds like you have a bad motor on your hands-sounds like Jimi Hendrix-LOL You start from the motor side, you have to remove the fan from the motor shaft, re-install the fan on the new motor shaft. All after killing the power to the burner and unwiring the motor from the control.
    It is good practice to replace the motor to pump coupling at the same time.
    I do have to recommend that you call a Professional for this work. That is why we all have licenses and are insured. Best of luck.
    Dave
This discussion has been closed.