Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

WEIL MCLAIN GV 5 SERIES BOILER

Like your town Gary. I spend many date nights up your way. Always entertaining. I also like the bbq down that side street is it pearl st ? any ways nice town to walk around. A decade or so ago I did some work in UMass Amherst running gas lines in a lab but now I just go up your way for fun things.
Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating

Comments

• WIEL MCLAIN FLAME SENSING

I HAVE A CUSTOMER WITH A WIEL MCLAIN GV SERIES 5 LP GAS BOILER . THE BOILER HAS BEEN GOING OUT ON NO FLAME SENSED. WERE DOES THE BOILER SENSE ITS FLAME SENSE THERE ISN'T A FLAME SENSOR ON IT ? IS IT THRU THE IGNIGHTER AND IF SO HOW DOES THAT WORK??

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT , THANKS, JOHN CILLEY PLUMBING AND HEATING
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    boiler safety

does he have the install manual that came with the boiler-that should have all the details. also available on-line.--nbc
  • Michael Wilson
    Michael Wilson Member Posts: 46
    Flame Sensor

It most likely through the igniter/sparker. I'm guessing it works just like a regular flame sensor.

If you can't find any info through Weil-Mclain... check with the manufacturer of the ingiter board/box.

• Darrell_7
    Darrell_7 Member Posts: 35

The GV does prove flame through the ignitor...there is not a flame rod. You must have a good chassis ground AND a clean burner cone.

Do this:

Pull the burner and lightly brush the burner cone...don't scrub it with a wire brush, but get it clean. Clean the inside as well...a leaf or junk that has blown into the inside of the cone may not burn off and will distort the flame on the surface of the cone...no proving.

When you put the burner back in place run a ground wire from the easiest bolt to get to both to chassis ground and wired ground.

Put in a new ignitor.

Make certain that your gas valve is set properly and that you are getting full flame...sometimes it seems that LP is a little touchier about proving than NG is for some reason.

You may also have sucked something into the induction blower wheel causing excess turbulence...check from underneath with a mirror. Excess turbulence will cause the flame to dance and not prove.

If all if this doesn't work then chances are you have a highly technical problem called "stupid control" and simply putting in a new board will make it all go away.

You should do all of these checks...but, my money says change the ignitor and most of the time the issue goes away. Failing that you'll probably wind up replaceing the control board.

The GV is a great boiler...be sure to keep the return temp up.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    To check for a good igniter, I think the rating is 3.2 amps when

running, put amprobe on one lead of igniter while igniter is hot. If lower, replace igniter. Check in the install or service manual to verify that but i think that # is correct. Also one other common problem with GV is after 8 to 10 yrs they start to block up in the cast iron sections from scaling. Then not good air flow through the heatx and will cause lockouts. Good luck
  • OUTSTANDING

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP. I WILL TEST THESE OPTIONS AND RESPOND SO THAT SOME ONE ELSE MAY BENIFIT FROM YOUR SUGESTIONS.

THANK YOU AGAIN, JOHN
  • FOUND THE PROBLEM

TOOK OUT THE CONE AND BASICLY WENT THROUG HTHE HOLE THING, FOUND LEAVES IN THE INTAKE, BLOWER AND THE CONE . THE LEAVES HAD MULCHED INTO THE END OF THE CONE SO BAD THERE WAS ONLY HALF THE CONE BURNING .ORDERED THE PARTS AND WILL SET IT UP NEXT WEEK, BUT I THINK THIS WILL SOLVE IT.

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP

PS: THE HINT WAS A SMALL LEAF IN THE EXTERIOR INTAKE ON THE BUILDING . DIDN'T LOOK LIKE MUCH OUT THERE , BUT IT ADDED UP INSIDE.
  • Darrell_7

I guess I get the gold star for the diagnosis...where do I send the bill?!

I can take Bank Cards, cash, checks, guns, but I don't want your first born...
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357

Darrel you have not seen his first born yet do not be so hasty.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,799
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    Gold questions

we had a service cal the other day with a Gold. It's been years since I've installed one, so here's my question: Is it not cool to use the boiler pump to heat the home (zone valve system)? I feel like I know the answer, (the one's I piped we did the p/s method) but would hate to cast my 'opinion' on the HO. This is a 140,000 BTU boiler in a small house...I didn't measure things up but 140 is way too much.

Thanks, Gary

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357

THe grand town of Lee famed exit 2 on the Massachusetts turnpike. Where are you out of Gary? As far as pumps if you are using zone valves you can use the boiler pump according to the I&O from weil mclain. I prefer zoning with pumps as I have had poor life expectancy with zone valves in my experiance, yes I know the pros and cons as far as power usage but I feel I am hired to provide economical and reliable heat and comfort and circs work for me.

cell # 413-841-6726
  • GW
    Exit 4

about 50 minutes or so? 45 with a tail wind? I live in easthampton and our shop is in northampton

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Darrell_7

Yes, the onboard system side Taco 007 will handle the average baseboard loop...it is a little light for the newer tank/tank indirect waterheaters however.
This discussion has been closed.