Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil McLain install questions

Todd_36
Todd_36 Member Posts: 1
Hello everyone. I'm a service guy that's helping with an installation of a LGB-5 steamer. Thanks to Dan's book I was able to identify why the five year old Dunkirk's center sections had cracked. We will be changing the near boiler piping. As for the pressure controls. Weil McLain shipped three with the boiler. Two Honeywell PA404A, and one L4079B 1003. Why three and why no pigtails. They do not even show a pigtail in there picture. Last question. The old boiler was equiped with a M&M 63 and 67. We only received a 63 with the new boiler. I'm I right in thinking that the old 67 was controlling the condensate pump?

Comments

• oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641

what do you service??
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    pressuretrols

your new boiler probably has provision for a different type of pigtail, or syphon tube. the tapping for the pressure controls and gauge, is piped down then along horizontally with "tees" for the various items. this traps some water just like a pigtail, and therefore protects the p-trol, etc. from steam. make sure the nipples the p-trols are mounted on are tall enough, so that the elevated skimming waterline height doesn't upset the vaporstat [if you get one].

maybe you have 2 p-trols because you have a 2-stage gas valve for a hi-lo-hi burner. they did you no favors when they included those early-style p-trols. they are very inaccurate at the low pressures suitable for steam. on mine when i set down low it became uncontrollable, and went up to 10 psi! if the piggy-bank has any more money in it, consider a vaporstat, and a 0-15 oz. gauge, then you will have the right gear for first firing.--nbc
  • Todd_37
    Todd_37 Member Posts: 2

If you don't have any valuble input, please do not respond.
  • scrook_2
    scrook_2 Member Posts: 610

3 p-trol's vs. 2 (control & limit) is odd as only on LGB-6 and up are listed as Lo-Hi-Lo fire.

They also show a 1" tapping on either side for limit controls/gauges, so may assume you'll build your own tree and install your own pigtails to suit.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    syphon protection

the lead mechanic should know that if pigtails are not supplied or they are " shorted " [ wiel is notorios for missing key components } , you supply your own. brass is now the flavor of choice for pigtails s o due to price of brass some vendors have chosen not to include with component package. you also have option of fabricating your own syphon appertenence w/ 3/4 " pipe & fittings. larger size gives more protection from sludge obstruction & control failure. read the instruction manual & check piping diagrams before erecting this boiler or you could void gaurantee if guidelines specified are not strictly adhered to. could possibly make it work better ,too. now how about considering a nice oversized drop header & you will have a real party. best of luck & enjoy.
  • Actually bob,

I`m sure W/M has specified "made-up" pigtails like nb-c mentioned, for quite awhile now.
    And yes, I agree those pressuretrols are a POS, but cheaper for them to supply.

Dave
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    lw cut-off

the # 63 is for a hw system . the 67 for steam . both strictly low water cut-offs. use two pressuretrols, one manual reset type . their components are never correct. some missing , some extra, some wrong .. last one i did came with two right end jacket panels ---no left. very poor quality control, they screw it up every time. you better know how to install it because they won't assist you in any way. you get what you pay for. i use burnham or peerless or hb smith or slant-fin or dunkirk or crown or pennco or national-u.s. not crazy about hydrotherm either !! i rest my case. the 67 can control a feeder or alarm. you might need a feed water pump contol
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641

BOb -THe McDonnell miller # 63 is for both steam and HW ---Tdd what do you service??
  • Weil has not

shipped, or shown pigtails, on their 80,88,94,& LGB Boilers for years. Since none of the controls listed has a mercury switch: Why would you need a pigtail?

The 63 is for steam or water. Both the 63 & 67 are low water cutoffs. The condensate pump could be controlled thru the #3 & #4 contacts on the 67's #11 switch. I wouldn't. A 150 is the way to go. That pre-supposes you are making up boiler water thru a boiler feed tank.

If not. The 67 was probably connected to a 101 Feeder & the tank float switch operated the pump.

Read all bold print on P. 23 of the I & O Manual before piping LWCOs. It matters.

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    pigtail or no pigtail

don't you need some form of water-seal, or syphon protection for every gauge, p-trol, and vaporstat to isolate it from the steam?--nbc
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Yes

I remember it wasn't the mercury switch in the control that needed protection from the steam, but the diaphragm that operates the switch. As well as the Bourdon tube in the gauge.

Typically, larger Weils, and some others, specified a dropped manifold for the gauge and pressure controls. The drop forms a water seal so it does the same job as a pigtail, and if set up properly it's easier to clean out.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • The PA404A,

L4079, & L408J Vaporstats are micro switched w/ stainless steel innards. With the death of mercury switches, there is no need to level the control case. Every steam pressure gage we use has brass or stainless wetted parts. The same pressure gage is used for steam, water, & other media.
This discussion has been closed.