Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

using hot water heater for space heating

Henry
Henry Member Posts: 998
HWT are not certified to be used as building heating boilers. If it is a gas installation, you are in serious doo-doo regarding the gas code. If any type of incident should happen, your insurance would not cover and you might face a civil as well as crimanl trial. Your plumber should not even touch the system because he will be liable as well!

Get a proper professional and install the right aprooved equipment. You will save in the end.

My two zloty

Polska, nie sgenywa

Comments

• john_226
    john_226 Member Posts: 1
    big problems

i have 75 gal gas hot water heaters being used for space heating ......going through a hvac coil.....i installed a taco flow valve on the feed side but after 6 months the water rotted the pin that holds the weight out ....this is in a condo complex of 22 units so the contractor made me take all flow valves out.....i understand this is an open system and the water eats everything up.....my supply house stood behind the valves and replaced them i ate the labor .....the apollo rep saw me at the supply house and rec their flow valves because they are all bronze i installed 22 valves and after 6 months the valves failed im now pissed.....somebody please help
  • kpc_49
    kpc_49 Member Posts: 12
    every thing...

you have is there needs to be non ferrous. Try an ifc bronze circ. Taco makes one but it would be a made to order set up. not cheap.
    You/ they need to look at biting the bullet and doing it right. Open systems are not a good idea....
  • Roland_17
    Roland_17 Member Posts: 7
    Open system

Water heaters are not generally recommended as space heating devices. Why not install a proper heating system with boiler and circulators? Many here can advise you on proper equipment choices. Do it right the first time and you won't be wasting time and money. My 2 zloty.
  • zeke
    zeke Member Posts: 223

I don't understand.The Taco bronze circ pump is designed for domestic open systems. And it is not expensive, only about $130 for a 006.

Exactly what failed? In which loop? What pin? Since you mention many valves. They are in the secondary (closed) loop and should not see much oxygen. So please explain this.
  • geoboy
    geoboy Member Posts: 30
    What about Hydro-Air??

A number of reputable water heater manufacturers display in their manuals installation instructions for using their water heaters to provide both DHW and space heating via an external air handler. Usually these water heaters have a second set of connections for the air handler.

This would certainly be an open system. Are these forbidden by the gas code? if so, why do the manufacturers encourage their use?
This discussion has been closed.