Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

6\" Baro on 5\" Flue

generally fit the next size smaller pipe rather well. We find we need to do this a lot in older buildings with chimneys designed for coal boilers. Try dry-fitting it first before getting a custom piece made up.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Chas_9
    Chas_9 Member Posts: 6
    Mounting Draft Regulator

I see that for tall chimneys, Field controls recomends a larger flue damper. Say 6" instead of 5". How do you put a 6" barometric on a 5" flue pipe? Do they fit right or will I end up with a bunch of crumpled sheet metal.

Also, Am I better off with an RC or type M?

Or, should I just put two 5" RC's on? They don;t make the M in 5".
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 457

Use an "M", better in my opinion. YOU will either need to find a 5x6x5 tee or use a5" piece of pipe and use adapter in draft regulator box to cut into pipe.
  • Chas_9
    Ok.

I have to get some custom duct work done and perhaps they can make me a T. I was looking at the (probably 50 year old) install manual for the M control and I don't think that the collar will bend to size very well.
  • Dick Charland
    Dick Charland Member Posts: 178

Use the collar supplied, go with M, the latest cheapo regulators I've seen are incredibly cheap. Field's performance is based on the size/design of the collar, a tee in place of their collar is not recommended. Box usually states sizing 6" regulator will fit 5-6-7 pipe.
  • Chas_9
    Thanks

Finaly had the steely eyed boiler man out today. Draft measured -.04 WC and +03 over fire.. Hmmm. Its running ok. I have a FIC I need to install but that flapper is bugging me. My 6" M came and it was a bit out of round so it sticks. I bent it into shape but why does everything Field make seem a bit hacked? I put the restrictor in the FIC tonight and I needed to use a hammer and block??? It still won;t sit all the way down. Grrrrr...
This discussion has been closed.