Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

sometimes everything is difficult

Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
Turns out, the basement zone that is under manifold heigth used to have a line in the floor, and it was re-piped up, over the boiler room, and down to the first CIBB in that unit. This makes a trap for air and that loop gets air-bound every few days. The Honeywell 'supervent' is a giant waist of money, as I can hear air pass right through it. I will put a bleeder 90* on it with a float type vent to let the air out, problem solved.

Tim
Just a guy running some pipes.

Comments

• Timco

Went back to my 'steam stumper' job and dove in. Pigtail was clogged, and LWCO was full of crud. After getting my water line good, and setting up the presstrol, fired it and again, main was hot all the way back to the water seal (40' or so) but no steam pressure. Rad I swapped trap on did get hot 2 hours later, lots of water in rad. (no pressure pushing anything through) Went to clock meter and 1/2' dial totally stuck, not turning. Now waiting on gas co to fix meter so it can be clocked, may need more btu's as was suggested. I have steam, but no pressure and no open pipes. Old trap had a spring setup in it. Fairly sure it is not vapor, rad traps lead to dry return, and no rad on boiler room ceiling or pipe near vent for vac...

Short of open pipe or main vent, only way no steam press is under btu's, correct? Trap I pulled was near totally stuck shut. Regulator is fixed WC, non adjustable or I would have tried cranking it up withy an analyzer in it...

Tim
  • Mark Custis
    Mark Custis Member Posts: 537
    Timco

How do you find these gems?
  • Timco

I get called when the big companies that have been around for many years start charging for no results and get fired. Then they call the apt association or friends with rentals and eventually my name comes up. Obviously, the last company did not check the pigtail, any traps, or clock the meter...this we know.

Tim
  • Mark Custis
    Mark Custis Member Posts: 537
    Yep

How did the fourplex turn out I lost the thread.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    bad gas meter

i wonder if the defective gas meter has been starving the burner of BTU's? i guess you will soon see. also wonder if the meter has been under-clocking their usage. even if you don't think it's a vapor system, it probably could do with less pressure for once, now that you are on the scene!--nbc
  • Timco

Well, I put a new gauge on it and it is getting NO pressure. Needle never moves, but if I pull the pigtail, steam will come out of the dome, just at less than 1lb. I need enough static pressure to get the water pushed through the rads and back into the boiler.

Tim
  • Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    \"Supervents\"

They aren't at all.

I've replaced 80% of the ones I installed. Back to Spirovent.

I'd rather have a scoop and float vent than those.
  • Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    ???

I thought it was gravity that drained the rads. If condensate were plugging up the rads, pressure would build.

The vapor you see may not be "steam", just vapor.

Probably under-fired and the pick up is eating it all.
This discussion has been closed.