Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

lowering ph

Elias
Elias Member Posts: 22
All I know is that it's at least nine. It could be higher, but the test strip instructions state that ph above nine will look the same as nine. I was going to adjust gradually until I get to just below nine. Then I will know where I'm at.

Comments

• Elias
    what to use to lower ph

what should I use to lower the ph in my boiler? It's above nine, which is as far as my test strips go.
  • No

No nothing is wrong with nine
  • Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    Steam or Water?

If your pH is over 10 you could see foaming. I think an ideal for most systems is about 8.0 to 8.5 including for hot water systems with aluminum parts.

Still as you said, you do not know and could be 11.0 for all you know. I would get a real tester or better strips.

When I use strips I use both wide and narrow range and bracket my results. Be warned, the strips do not age well. They should be fresh, not over a year old I was told. Otherwise an electronic tester.
  • Elias

Very good. It's a steam system, And I suspect some foaming. The strips are brand new, and I think once I am within their range I will be able to gauge quite accurately with the color chart. Since I know that I am at at least nine, my plan is to gradually reduce ph until I have dropped just below nine. Very gradually. I have a lot of time on my hands. Seems like a decent plan? Maybe some lemon juice? yum. Thanks!
  • Jim Pompetti
    Jim Pompetti Member Posts: 552
    High P`H

When I get a high PH I skim the boiler ,that usually handles the problem . .

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Brad White_191
    Brad White_191 Member Posts: 252
    Vinegar

is said to work but I have never used it. Whatever you use will be detectable in the air when vented. I would go with the lemon myself!
This discussion has been closed.