Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Whistling rad vents

Stewy_2
Stewy_2 Member Posts: 83
My rad vents have been whistling quite a bit lately. Also when the boiler kicks off lots of air is released from the vents. The two 2" 10' mains are running two each #1 Gortons. Anybody have any words of wisdom?

Comments

• TonyBal_2
    TonyBal_2 Member Posts: 54
    Boiler Kicking Off

Could it be that the air is rushing into the valve when the boiler cycles off? This happens to me, and I thought it was air leaving the valve, but it actually is air entering the valve. When the boiler cycles off, a vacuum is created and air rushes into the valve. I believe this is normal. As for the whistling, I can't offer any help there. I have the same problem, and others have suggested that it is because of insufficient venting of the main.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    whistlers mother

if you find the vents whistling on burner shutdown, it is a sign that the main vents are not handling the relief of the vacuum in those pipes adequately, and therefore, the poor radiator vents are working much harder than they should [but whistling as they work!]

you could try taking the main vents off [boiler-off!] and giving them a soak in dish-washing liquid, with a follow-up of a 1-hour vinegar bath to remove any dirt or calcium obstructing the passageways. alternatively it might be time for new main vents, and my take on the situation is they can never be too big!--nbc
This discussion has been closed.