Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

new heat for boat

Riverrat35
Riverrat35 Member Posts: 16
I would like to change heat source in my boat.It's a houseboat that I live on all year long.Heat load is 17000 btu/hr at 0deg and 70 deg inside. Currently using electric wall heaters and propane tile heater.electric is 1200 watts propane is 4000 to 18000 btu.looking to put in a new system to carry all the load.any ideas, geo(have unlimited water maybe to just over freezing temp to work with)Propane radiant? current cost is around 200 a month (propane and electric).I have geo a/c now but reverse cycle combi unit would be an option.elec is 10c per kwh propane is 2.80/gal. would like to lower cost.

Comments

• Riverrat35

• Riverrat35

I would like to change heat source in my boat.It's a houseboat that I live on all year long.Heat load is 17000 btu/hr at 0deg and 70 deg inside. Currently using electric wall heaters and propane tile heater.electric is 1200 watts propane is 4000 to 18000 btu.looking to put in a new system to carry all the load.any ideas, geo(have unlimited water maybe to just over freezing temp to work with)Propane radiant? current cost is around 200 a month (propane and electric).I have geo a/c now but reverse cycle combi unit would be an option.elec is 10c per kwh propane is 2.80/gal. would like to lower cost.
  • Wayne_28
    Wayne_28 Member Posts: 8

I would install the water source heat pumps to handle the heating load, that is made for boats.

Another idea would be to have refrigeation company design and build heat pump system for the heat source and use a hydronic system for distribution. Use a air handler and duct work for a/c and quick warm ups. Still using the water available under the boat for the heat/cooling source. There is enough heat in the water even if the water temp is about to freeze. Heat is available down to -459.7K Don't skimp on temperature sensors and safety circuits in the design.

Good Luck, Wayne
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    Cruisaire heatpumps for boats

This is the norm for boat heatpumps. Take a look at. Tim Or consider diesel boiler by espar or you could do diesel air heater by same. There are a few other good companies that make both also. Tim

• Does you house boat have a propulsion system? If you already have a diesel and a diesel fuel tank I'd consider going this way. Espar was mentioned. They have some nice systems designed for boats. There are a lot of economic factors and situations that you need to consider.

I'd be cautious about geo as that would involve a heat exchanger. If your house boat has a hull that would would class the geo system as a "sinker" meaning if it failed it could sink the boat. As a general rule you should try to keep the number of "sinkers" to a minimum. Things like engine cooling water intakes can be shut off when you are away from the boat, where as intakes for heating /cooling system water generally have to be left open.

Also heat exchangers have a tendency to get clogged up. The local water conditions where you are located can be a big factor in the success or failure of the system. A keel cooler might be a possibility though I don't know if one would have enough capacity for a geo system. It's also a "sinker" but would be safer than using a thruhull though if there is a chance of grounding and subsequently damaging the keel cooler then it wouldn't be practical.
    You have a lot to consider.

Another factor you might need to consider is insurance. Insurance companies don't like to insure something that hasn't been thoroughly checked out so what ever system you go with has to be acceptable for houseboat use.

Not sure how much help this is to you but at least it might give you some ideas to consider. I've worked out a lot of marine systems so if you need sources for marine fittings let me know. Good luck!
  • Riverrat35
    thank you

for the good ideas.will check them out
  • Upgrade your heating system on boat

"current cost is around 200 a month"

"would like to lower cost".

I have to presume that you do not have to heat all year round at design.

If you do,,,,,weigh anchor and ,,,,GO SOUTH!!!!

Is $200.00 per month an average price per month for 12 months, or is it $200.00 per month your monthly cost during the heating season?

Ed Carey
  • Riverrat35

2oo /month heating season.nov to april approx.at 30* it is much lower.not complaining about cost. just like to have more comfort.70* in a boat feels different than a house.can't go south yet only 45 years old and job is here (Ohio)
This discussion has been closed.