Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Emergency Switch Location

Erich_3
Erich_3 Member Posts: 135
NFPA 31 10.5.1.1 states:
“For electrically powered appliances, the requirement of 10.5.1 shall be accomplished by an identified switch in the burner supply circuit, placed outside of and adjacent to the entrance to the room where the appliance is located.”
Substantiation: This eliminates confusion as to exactly where the switch is to be located. The switch is to be located on the opposite side of the entrance to the room in which the appliance is located, so that a person does not actually enter the room to disconnect power to the oil burner circuit in an emergency. This is very clear but does this apply when a new appliance is installed that replaces an existing appliance. Many present emergency switches are installed at the top of the basement stairs in the same room as the appliance.

Comments

• Leo_22
    Leo_22 Member Posts: 6
    In MA

In MA where i AM if you upgrade a system the switch has to be moved to the other side of the door.

Leo
  • Erich_3
    Reasonable Interpretation

I wonder how many people are complying. In MA don't you have to pull a permit and without moving the switch you will not pass inspection?
  • Leo_22
    Leo_22 Member Posts: 6
    Permits

That is correct a permit is needed and the fire insp often tests the switch to be sure it turns off the burner.

Leo
  • carter_3
    carter_3 Member Posts: 23
    emergency switch

in nyc you must also have a switch directly outside the boiler room as well wether gas or oil period
  • Erich_3
    Insurance Liability

I can see that if you do not move the emergency switch to a location outside of the room where the heating appliance is located you are placing yourself in a position of insurance liability.
  • Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    Leo is correct

In MA, 527 CMR 4.00 is the section.

4.04 (3)(a):

"The valve or switch shall be plainly marked to indicate it's purpose and placed outside the entrance to the room where the burner is locate or outside of the cellar/basement door at first floor level in an exposed location clearly visible and readable at all times." So help you, God.

I just added that last part :)

This discussion has been closed.